FORUMS: list search recent posts

Random Sectional Transparency

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikolay Arkhipov
Random Sectional Transparency
on Dec 5, 2019 at 1:36:45 pm

Hi everyone! I need to add a random sectional transparency to an object.
The example of what I mean is attached: on the left there's a standard rectangle, and on the right there's the same rectangle but with random transparent sections I am talking about.
Masks are not a good fit because I need to make further adjustments with these transparent areas, and besides there will be a lot of such transparent areas, which is going to be controlled by expressions depending on some properties of other layers. Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
1.png

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Random Sectional Transparency
on Dec 5, 2019 at 3:19:55 pm

I'd precompose all the transparency-creating layers, then use the precomp as a luma or alpha matte.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Nikolay Arkhipov
on Dec 5, 2019 at 5:16:59 pm

Well, I suppose you didn't understand me correctly... I don't have other layers. I just have a shape (1 layer), and I need some way to make this shape sectionally randomly transparent. Maybe there are some effects suitable for this, or expressions... I could have achieved this effect by creating lot's of masks or other shapes, but it's not possible in my situation, firstly, because it's too messy, and secondly, I need to control the number of these transparent sections. And it is possible only if I deal with just one (or a couple) layers.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Dec 5, 2019 at 7:14:06 pm

[Nikolay Arkhipov] " I could have achieved this effect by creating lot's of masks or other shapes, but it's not possible in my situation, firstly, because it's too messy, and secondly, I need to control the number of these transparent sections."

You're being ambiguous. Either you want control so you'd have a bunch of masks or layers working as masks that you can change in a defined, organized way or you don't control anything! You can't have anything automatic and maintain some sort of control over the overall look.

If you want to cut randomly you can create a noise with a high contrast and add the mosaic effect. This will give you random vertical bars that can act as luma mattes. You could quickly and neatly change the look, but you don't get much control over it.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Nikolay Arkhipov
on Dec 5, 2019 at 7:33:50 pm

Well, by "controlling" these transparent sections I meant the possibility to add more of them, depending on certain conditions, and to make them wider or thiner, at once. I need something like "Venetian Blinds" effect, but the transparent sections there are equal, and the problem is that I need them to be of random size (like a barcode).

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Dec 5, 2019 at 7:36:08 pm

my suggestion (noise with mosaic, with contrast crushed) works EXACTLY like a bar code.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Nikolay Arkhipov
on Dec 5, 2019 at 7:40:48 pm

Thanks for participation, I'll try your method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]