FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to add a interval timer in the after effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
winnie choy
how to add a interval timer in the after effect
on Nov 25, 2019 at 6:03:48 am

hi guys, i am planning to make my own full length workout videos, and i want to make an interval timer(for example:30 seconds on.10 seconds off), but the tutorials that i find in youtube of how to make a countdown timer is only about making one timer but not interval timer.

do you guys know how to make it? and can i save it after making one and so i can use it in my other workout video

thanks for your helping, it really means a lots

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: how to add a interval timer in the after effect
on Dec 2, 2019 at 9:16:06 pm

The simplest way i can think to do this is to make a text layer which will be the timer text. And a Null layer which will have a Slider Control effect added to it. Then Copy and paste this expression into the source text property of the timer text layer:

Math.floor(thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("Slider Control")("Slider"))

Then it's as easy as animating the slider to whatever values you want to display. So make a keyframe with the slider at 30 at frame 0, and then 30 seconds later keyframe the slider to have a value of 0. This will have the text count down from 30-0 over 30 seconds. then 10 seconds later you can just set another keyframe for the slider with a value of 10, and the text will count back up from 0 to 10 over ten seconds.

If you want the slider to display"00:30" instead of just "30", the easiest way is to just make another text layer that contains"00:" and place it in front of the text that you're animating with the slider.

And yes you can reuse that over and over in your future videos. If you want them all to display the same intervals you can just render out that comp with alpha and use it as a video layer that you'd place over future videos.

Return to posts index

Julien Schickel
Re: how to add a interval timer in the after effect
on Dec 5, 2019 at 12:52:43 am

I agree with Max Haller, only I think it would be easier to add the 00: in the expression than adding another layer.

That would make the expression goes like this:

"00: "+ Math.floor(thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("Slider Control")("Slider"))

Julien Schickel
Editor & motion designer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7_NVR3JLdhEYDlEQuNFfug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]