FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving short clips in wide zoom

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Rodgers
Moving short clips in wide zoom
on Nov 18, 2019 at 5:12:42 pm

I'm trying to find a way to not have to zoom WAY in on small clips in order to select and move them in the timeline. Ideally, I want to place my cursor and then use a shortcut that will automatically move the clip to that place.

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
Re: Moving short clips in wide zoom
on Nov 18, 2019 at 7:05:21 pm

>Ideally, I want to place my cursor and then use a shortcut that will automatically move the clip to that place.

Left bracket "[" moves the layer so its inPoint is at the current time - is that what you're looking for?

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Nov 18, 2019 at 7:13:33 pm

Thanks for responding but no, I know these shortcuts. I have a precomp that is very very short, so when I am zoomed even to a normal view, I am unable to select it with my cursor and move it. I have to stop and zoom way in and then select it. But this also moves my timeline curso, making the whole process very time consuming and tedious.

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
on Nov 18, 2019 at 7:40:59 pm

Hmm ok, I see. And if you alt+mouse wheel (zooming without moving the timeline cursor) - will that help?

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Nov 18, 2019 at 7:43:23 pm

No, because it zooms in on where the cursor is located, not where the clip is. When it does that, the clip goes off screen. I need to be able to select the clip and move it without doing any zooming.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 19, 2019 at 12:50:39 am

You can select a layer by typing its layer index on the numeric keypad.

If you have a layer selected already, you can you Ctrl+UpArrow or Ctrl+DownArrow (Windows, Cmd+UpArrow / Cmd+DownArrow on a Mac) to change the selection to the layer above or below, respectively.

Once you've got your layer selected, you can reposition it with the shortcuts you already know.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Nov 19, 2019 at 1:32:42 am

Thanks guys but I finally found it. The command is Ctrl+Alt+V and it works by you selecting the layer or clip, then entering the shortcut. It will automatically move the clip on that layer to the cursors current location in time. It is a HUGE timesaver when you have super tiny (short) clips that you can't even click on unless you zoom in on it and its finally large enough to.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 19, 2019 at 1:38:34 am

Ctrl+Alt+V pastes layer(s) from the clipboard at the current time in the current timeline.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]