FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nvidia RTX 2018 TI Versus Nvidia RTX 2070 super. New workstation build advice needed.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Schwartz
Nvidia RTX 2018 TI Versus Nvidia RTX 2070 super. New workstation build advice needed.
on Nov 6, 2019 at 6:46:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am here to ask for some guidance and advice.

I am building a new PC which will be used mainly for creative work. The software packages I primarily use are Cinema 4D and Adobe after effects and premiere pro.
As of this point I am hesitant whether to purchase the more expensive Nvidia RTX 2080 TI card or the much cheaper Nvidia RTX 2070 and use the remainder of my budget towards purchasing more RAM or extra solid-state drives.
So my question is essentially that would my workflow benefit from the faster graphics card bearing in mind the higher costs, in contrast of focusing on expanding and improving other computer components.

I would like to create a computer build that mainly supports live view and serves as a workstation whilst not entirely neglecting rendering performance.

Thank you in advance for all your input and advice.

Kind regards,
Lucas

Return to posts index

Pedro Santos
Re: Nvidia RTX 2018 TI Versus Nvidia RTX 2070 super. New workstation build advice needed.
on Nov 7, 2019 at 5:13:39 am

Well, it depends.

Octane Render can benefit GREATLY from a better GPU.
Cinema 4D will benefit a lot from the GPU as well for preview, but for rendering, you are looking at high core count CPUs.

The problem with making a Build for AE and C4D at the same time is that they dont benefit from the same thing.

For AE you need high clock speed, for C4D you need high core count.

But, back to your question. I have a RTX 2080 ti 11gb myself and i have NEVER EVER seen my gpu usage go above 20% because of premiere or ae (I only work with fullhd and 4k footage). They are using the CPU all the time. So, the RTX 2070 will be more than enough. But again, not always.
If you are working on 6, 8k RAW footage, a higher VRAM GPU will be of great help.
So, If you go on the 2070 route, try getting at least a 8GB card.

I too work with C4D and AE on the same build. The route I choose to go with was a 9900k and a RTX 2080 ti 11GB. Works ok for me. AE is still slow AF, but thats a software fault, not a hardware.
And going higher on core count would make it even slower, and thats why I invested in a good GPU, to help a little with C4D. And since I use Octane Render A LOT, the gpu helps a ton.

Thats my opinion and my personal experience. I am no engineer nor a computer scientist. I'm just telling you my experience from real world experiments.
You can try emailing puget and reading their articles, they are amazing. And they know a whole lot more than Ill ever do.

Hope Ive helped.

Return to posts index

Lucas Schwartz
Re: Nvidia RTX 2018 TI Versus Nvidia RTX 2070 super. New workstation build advice needed.
on Nov 7, 2019 at 6:58:36 am

Thank you for the response, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Real-life user experience. I think I will pair the AMD 3950x once its released with the Nvidia RTX 2070 super and upgrade the card later if I need to.
I do not have much experience with Octane render but I do occasionally use red shift which I know that can take advantage of the GPU.
I have read the reviews from Puget but it is so easy to get lost in between the myriad of information they provide and it is more straightforward to ask the community.

Once more thank you for your response and have a great day.

Return to posts index

Lucas Schwartz
on Nov 7, 2019 at 11:10:32 pm

The 3950x is an excellent choice. It has the speed for decent AE/C4D and more cores for the rendering side. It has up to 4.7GHz two core turbo. The current 16 core often out performs its 24 core big brother: https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=57600&width=800&height=800
The new Threadrippers will have better memory performance and the new Zen2 Cores and as I know it support up to 3200MHz RAM. Just a heads up: A high core count chip will run After Effects and the design and animation side of C4D about 5-10% slower than on a CPU like the 9900k or 3900x. It will still run great, but you can either optimize for speed or cores, not both. AE/C4D Animation and design like speed, Redshift/Rendering like cores and GPU. I don't think you'll notice much but just a heads up that the softwares are designed differently.

Always look at all-core turbo when selecting a CPU. They rarely run at the advertised clock speed. They are either below that at idle, or using turbo when under a load.

Redshift likes GPUs, the more powerful (or multiple) the better. The other two programs are not written to take advantage of a multi-GPU setup.

Most of the GPUs have switched to the new "Super" versions which have a slightly higher clock speed and a few more cores. The 2070 and 2080 are very similar in terms of performance: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080S-Super-vs-Nvidia-RTX-...
I use a 2070 Super because it is so close to the 2080 regular for less price: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2070S-S...
A 2080Ti however, is about a 30 performance increase over a 2080 regular and is an amazing card: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080...

The 2080Ti is just a fast powerful card and will handle anything you can throw at it. I'd recommend a single 2080ti (you can add another one later if need be) over dual 2070's.
For Redshift dual 2080's would be better than a single 2080ti but in the long run the 2080Ti will be around longer and may be worth adding to after getting a single. Especially if you're just starting out with rendering.
I know that's not a firm answer but you have to make the call there.

Either setup will give you excellent performance.

Jared Lewis
Puget Systems
----------------------------------------
https://www.pugetsystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]