Trouble Rotating Multiple 3D Layers Around Anchor Point Properly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Zins
Trouble Rotating Multiple 3D Layers Around Anchor Point Properly
on Nov 2, 2019 at 3:54:40 am
Last Edited By Joseph Zins on Nov 2, 2019 at 11:28:08 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 3D layer that I extruded and I added a bunch of layers on top to make it what it is. I can rotate that 3D layer just fine in a null object parented to a camera class, but the objects I added on top don't rotate in their relative positions. They rotate the correct amount, but their positioning is off. I'm thinking it has something to do with the 3D anchor point of one or more layers.

Before rotation:

After rotation:

Here's a video demonstration:

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Trouble Rotating Multiple 3D Layers Around Anchor Point Properly
on Nov 3, 2019 at 10:57:56 am

I think I see the problem. By linking your camera to the null object, you’re moving the camera to create layer rotation, but the 2.5d layers are not forward of the null object in 3D space.

If you move the 2.5d layers forward of the null’s position (z direction) you should start to see the behaviour you’re after.

If I followed correctly, you’ve built the box in c4d and are using 2.5d layers to add detail. You could also build 2.5d walls for your box too, and that way you wouldn’t need C4D and it might make things easier.

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films
http://shiveringcactus.wordpress.com/ - FX blog

Return to posts index

Joseph Zins
Re: Trouble Rotating Multiple 3D Layers Around Anchor Point Properly
on Nov 4, 2019 at 1:49:35 am

I got it solved while still using Cinema4D! The solution wasn't exactly what you suggested, but I suddenly got an idea related to this and that worked! Basically I created an expression for X, Y, and Z for each object out of position based on the amount of rotation I'm doing. I used Mathway which has a feature where you can plug in a bunch of X Y values and it will generate an equation that satisfies the values.

Here's another video demonstrating what I did if you're curious:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]