FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rebuilding Comps at a New Resolution

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Miller
Rebuilding Comps at a New Resolution
on Oct 24, 2019 at 3:38:28 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m an online editor in the process of finishing a show for a streaming service. The offline team cut in Avid using DNxHD 36s, pretty standard, and I’m onlining it at 4096x1714.

The problem I’m having is that for one episode they made a series of creative wipes, pushes, and split screens using After Effects. They used the MXF dailies to build these at 1080 and now I need to rebuild them using the high res media and I’m having a pretty tough go of it.

Since After Effects’s conform settings seem pretty limited what I’ve been trying is running the Scale Composition script and then cutting in the high res media on a new layer, then pasting the effects and transforms onto that new high res layer. This isn’t perfect though because the scale value has to change to accommodate the 4K media and if I change that to scale it correct it also scales the masks which I need to stay the same.

This is only the tip of the iceberg of the problems I’ve been having with these comps. Does anyone have any workflow tips for this situation? I really only have a surface level knowledge of After Effects but it seems like this problem should be solvable. I’ve been trying to scale the comps to 4096x2304 but I could definitely get away with 3840x2160 if it would make things simpler. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Rebuilding Comps at a New Resolution
on Oct 25, 2019 at 4:00:26 pm

I like to use the scale composition using only the scale factor..which as you know has a few problems...for things like particles i can just copy and paste onto new layers and they fix themselves...so you might be able to copy the masks and paste onto a new solid the size of the current composition...i dont scale up complex projects so it might have more problems im not aware of.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]