FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interested in creating a delayed blend (in Illustrator) effect with motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Calum Campbell-Coles
Interested in creating a delayed blend (in Illustrator) effect with motion
on Oct 4, 2019 at 7:41:34 pm

Hi guys, I know this is a long shot but I've come across this animation from estúdio arco as part of their 36 days of type and I just wanted to get some info on how I would be able to achieve something similar?

The only way I can describe it is a blend effect from Illustrator and the layers are following the top layer with a slight delay.

Reference link: https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/879f9878360081.5ce71...

I've not explored expressions before and I reckon that might be my best option looking at other threads.

Any direction to go and research would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Calum Campbell-Coles
Re: Interested in creating a delayed blend (in Illustrator) effect with motion
on Oct 5, 2019 at 6:30:27 pm

After a little bit of digging, I've found https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=2&postid=103636... very helpful.

This is the code I'm using.
linear(effect("Completion")("Slider"),0,100,effect("Point A")("Layer").transform.position,effect("Point B")("Layer").transform.position)

I've decided to make all the shapes in Illustrator (6 triangles in this instance) and I'm now using them to follow the Point A null while the Point B null is still. How would you apply a valueAtTime to delay the triangles to create a ripple delay effect?

I think my method is pretty botched but I'm learning expressions for the first time at least...

Return to posts index

Calum Campbell-Coles
on Oct 5, 2019 at 6:44:23 pm

I also forgot to mention that all my triangles are on this path with different "Completion" values so that I can create the ripple effect. It's a bit of a manual task but I was searching for ways to add a slider to how much the shape is affected by a parent in position and ended up on the link above.

Return to posts index

Calum Campbell-Coles
on Oct 5, 2019 at 7:40:22 pm

I feel like this thread is all me haha.

I've figured it out with this:

delay = 1.5; //number of frames to delay
d = delay*thisComp.frameDuration*(index - 1);

linear(effect("Completion")("Slider"),0,100,
effect("Point A")("Layer").transform.position.valueAtTime(time - d),
effect("Point B")("Layer").transform.position)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]