FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics Template for Wiping In Multiple Lines of Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Schapiro
Graphics Template for Wiping In Multiple Lines of Text
on Sep 21, 2019 at 12:23:58 am

Howdy gang- apologies if my lack of experience and knowledge about how AE (and creative cow) works is off-putting, but I'm in a pickle.
I've been doing weekly work for a client for a video series- in this series, text appears on screen (often in multiple lines) by linearly wiping on with a bit of edge feather, line by line. The text appears in boxes of varying sizes.
How I've been doing this up until now is, in premiere, having each line be a separate text on its own track in the timeline, using the Linear Wipe effect with a feather on each, and trying to line up the ending of one line's wipe with the beginning of the next line's, and repeating that for up to 5 lines of text.
However, even if copying and pasting these multiple tracks of text, changing the size of all of them to fit different sized boxes between different episodes causes the alignment of the Wipes to go out of sync. This makes what, conceptually, should be a simple process much more time consuming, having to adjust each track for each instance of text multiple times an episode.

I'm looking for a way to streamline the process significantly. If anyone has any other suggestions I will obviously take them, but for now I think my best option is a Motion Graphics Template.

In that case, I think to sum it up what I need is tips on how/expressions to make this template (or templateS, if one should be made for one line of text, one for two lines, one for three, etc).
Ideally it should be able to sense the length of a line of text, wipe (with feather) to the end of that line, and then immediately begin the wipe on the next line of text at the same speed and so on and so forth.
Essentially its just a fancier Typewriter effect- able to detect the length of the content and procedurally reveal it, just with that feather and wipe.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Graphics Template for Wiping In Multiple Lines of Text
on Sep 22, 2019 at 10:16:19 am

Hey Max, don't want to sound too much selling, but you could check the project I done for auto-fitting multiple text lines with their text boxes, automatically. Based on what you have written, it could be beneficial by all means.

Here you can find a description accordingly:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/81286643/Boxer-Multi-lined-Text-Boxes-with-...

Cheers.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Max Schapiro
on Sep 23, 2019 at 6:18:05 pm

Ooh... in that template, this image:
https://camo.envatousercontent.com/1a500f595c2c8e18ebbc722aab36231d5b011bc0...
the "Phrases animates by scale reveal" essentially offers what I need to a degree. Is it possible to have the boxes have feather and not be visible, thus getting that feathered reveal effect?
Plus, I'm assuming there's an option to have one box start as the previous one ends?

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Sep 23, 2019 at 7:26:21 pm

Max, thanks for your interest, great questions.

1. Feathered reveal - its yes, and no at the same time. If you make boxes not visible at all (by disabling in the comp shape layers), then reveal becomes 'hard-edged'. However, if you make a comp, do a duplicate, apply blur for the top layer and use set matte for reveal, it could be sufficient for the purpose.
2. Boxes aka lines, start time - it depends. Animation is controlled by markers - distance between startIn and startOut marker in the comp dictates how long animation will take. Inside controllers, there is a Delay parameter which allows to delay upcoming line any time you want. With that said, it has two way control over animation duration and upcoming line(s) start time.

Its just a matter of tweaking controllers and getting the result you want to achieve. In case if you decide to give it a go and stuck at some degree, do not hesitate to get in touch - happy to help accordingly either way. Cheers!

Find out more:

Return to posts index

Max Schapiro
on Sep 23, 2019 at 7:29:54 pm

I honestly may go ahead and give this a try- thank you!!
One last question- this CAN be made into template for Premiere, yes? In order to try and keep workflow as streamlined as possible

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Sep 23, 2019 at 7:34:37 pm

Max - I honestly doubtful about making this into Essential graphics (if you mean that), due to a lot of expressions in relation to each other. Haven't tried that myself, but with pretty complex logic onboard, I would lean more towards 'not really', unfortunately!

Find out more:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]