FORUMS: list search recent posts

avoid loading old workspace when opening an old project?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hasas
avoid loading old workspace when opening an old project?
on Sep 8, 2019 at 8:46:38 pm

As time goes on, I like to tweak my default AE workspace layout, add panels for new add-ons, etc. However, workspace layouts are also saved with / tied to individual AEP project files. When I open up an old project in After Effects, the old layout saved with that project opens up as well, which I usually don't want. This is sometimes easily fixed by resetting my workspace layout using the toolbar panel, but oftentimes the old workspace layout won't include a bunch of newer panels I've added, and switching to my newer workspace doesn't bring back those new panels, making it necessary to manually re-open and reposition them.

The default behavior of opening old workspaces on file load is a huge pain in general. Is there a way to avoid it? In Blender (the 3D app), there's both a prefs setting and a toggle in the file-open dialog that lets you disregard the workspace layout saved with the file and to instead use your current default layout. Is there something like this in AE? Have looked around, Googled, found nothing.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: avoid loading old workspace when opening an old project?
on Sep 11, 2019 at 8:45:47 pm

Going to one of your saved workspaces should include any panels that are saved in that workspace. Double-click the workspace name to reset it if needed.

To avoid it, import an old project into a new one. There currently isn't a way to avoid that although it sounds like a swell feature request for the (relatively) new After Effects UserVoice page. (Although, I'd suggest doing a search there in case someone else has made that suggestion and you can add your vote to it.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Paul Hasas
on Sep 11, 2019 at 9:44:10 pm

I've had it happen a few times where I've opened an old file, set my workspace to a newer layout, noticed certain panels were missing, then tried to reset the workspace layout but still no dice. Not sure what the exact conditions were, so I'm not sure how to replicate.

Anyway, yup, I figured I'd have to post on UserVoice, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Paul Hasas
on Sep 15, 2019 at 12:21:52 am

Turns out someone already made a request for this. For anyone who feels like voting for it:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/3...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]