what is the name of this style of animation
on Sep 4, 2019 at 1:43:53 pm

Hello

i was wondering what is the name of this style of animation in the link

Return to posts index

Benjamin Arthur
Re: what is the name of this style of animation
on Sep 4, 2019 at 10:30:00 pm

I'd call this a paper cut-out style of animation, where everything is 2D layers being manipulated in 3D space. It's being combined with a kind of mechanical style, they took care to show the strings and connected elements to give it a feeling of an old style machine from an arcade or mechanical museum.

Return to posts index

nizar nassour
on Sep 5, 2019 at 7:36:28 am

Hi thank you for your reply

if I liked to see more videos about this style of animation on you tube is it enough to type (paper cut-out style of animation)

I learn everyday

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Sep 5, 2019 at 9:18:46 am

Yes, it's traditionally know as 'cut out' animation based on the fact that originally it was made using cut-out paper and card, hinged together with string and wires to allow stop frame animation.

While this was originally done under a camera and often with pieces placed on glass to create depth, nearly every version of that style is recreated in After Effects due to it's layering system. Often the best way of recreating that look theses days is combining scanned or photographed 2D elements and then lighting and animating them in After Effects.

There's an image from 'The South Bank Show' I worked on several years ago using the style at this link:

https://cargocollective.com/johnfx

An here's a section from a musical film that uses similar technique:

John Williams

Soho Editors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]