FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe After Effects mask logo reveal

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Simbad
Adobe After Effects mask logo reveal
on Aug 11, 2019 at 3:55:11 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post here after looking around for a bit, so please excuse me if my forum etiquette is a bit off, or if this is in the wrong category.
I'm animating a short loading screen for a friend who runs his own T-shirt business, and I've resorted to learning After Effects to achieve this, as 3D modelling turned out to be less than ideal.

The idea itself is quite simple; - my friend's logo being 'printed' in about 5 or 6 horizontal lines that sweep across, in the same fashion as if it were being printed. It seems like it should be very easy to achieve with AE, but my limited knowledge of the software is limiting me, and I can't find a tutorial anywhere.
I've learned how to create a mask, and I've learned how to keyframe objects in the composition, but at the moment the best I can do is a moving rectangle mask which goes back and forth like a print head. This would be fine, except parts of the 'print' go from being visible back to invisible due to the mask moving, which is obviously not how it would look if it were being printed. I have a lot of experience with most kinds of visual software so I should be able to pick it up, but this problem has been stumping me for about a week now. Can one of you fine people give me some advice on this or point me in the right direction?

Here's a video of a similar effect to what I'm trying to achieve:

(My project will have no print head or machinery though, literally JUST the logo.)

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Adobe After Effects mask logo reveal
on Aug 11, 2019 at 11:57:26 pm

Hi Danny. There are a lot of ways of doing this but using your current knowledge:
Make separate masks for each slice (you can have more than one mask on a layer).
The masks can overlap at the top so that there aren't any gaps.
Keyframe the Mask Paths to have them slide into position.
Let us know if this is unclear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]