FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fringe around object after applying blur - Cinema 4D Lite Depth Pass

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Stillerska
Fringe around object after applying blur - Cinema 4D Lite Depth Pass
on Jul 25, 2019 at 7:24:24 pm
Last Edited By Filip Stillerska on Jul 25, 2019 at 7:26:00 pm

Using a Cinema 4D Lite Depth Pass as a Blur Map for the Camera Lens Blur-effect always results in a fringe around the object. Any ideas how to solve this?

(Please note: This is using C4D Lite, and the example below is only a very simple example project I set up; the problem is usually worse on real projects...)

Using a Cinema 4D Lite Depth Pass as a Blur Map for the Camera Lens Blur-effect always results in a fringe around the object. The fringe is not very obvious in this example though, but I've definitely stumbled upon some more extreme scenarios.

RGBA image that I want to add DoF to, since I'm unable to do this natively using Cinema 4D Lite.

RGB depth pass. And yes - I'm aware that the ball that's supposed to be in focus is grey instead of black but for some reason C4D (using Cineware) always renders its Depth Passes that way. Easy to solve with a Levels-effect, though!

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
Re: Fringe around object after applying blur - Cinema 4D Lite Depth Pass
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:43:24 am

Ok, so for anyone who's having the same problem, here's how I managed to solve it: apply a Fast Box Blur (Blur Radius = 10), a Levels-effect (Input Black = 120), followed by another Levels-effect (Input Black = 75) to the Depth Pass-layer.

Fast Box Blur: Softens and expands the edges in the Depth Pass.
Levels (1): Makes the object that's supposed to be in focus black in the Depth Pass.
Levels (2): Expands the black edges in the Depth Pass which gets rid of the fringe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]