FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to open an archived project from AE 5.5 (Windows) from 2004

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim lefevre
Trying to open an archived project from AE 5.5 (Windows) from 2004
on Jul 23, 2019 at 1:19:49 pm

Hey there everyone. I'm trying to open an After Effects Version 5.5 project from 2004 . Obviously this wont happen in CC 2018 as it says "This file was created with an older version of After Effects [5.5 (Windows)] and can't be opened" which is of course understandable.

I've found some threads with suggestions about downloading a trial of CS5 (which I think is the last version you can open AE5.5/6 in) but either the links are broken, they link to the current Adobe site or if I try and instal the download it goes all screwy (I shall try and do it again and post what it says).

This page gives you the backwards compatibility
https://theblog.adobe.com/opening-after-effects-projects-from-previous-vers... but, again, I'm not having any luck actually finding a version that works on my 2018 Mac.

Does anyone know of any services where they still have AE 5.5 or 6 installed on a machine? I think I was working on a PC at the time. For some reason I feel there is someone out there who has a niche market for these services but can't for the life of me find them!!

Many thanks in advance,

Jim

http://www.jimlefevre.com

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Trying to open an archived project from AE 5.5 (Windows) from 2004
on Jul 23, 2019 at 1:49:21 pm

Hey Jim,

There may be services but find them is another challenge. I still use CS6 and I also have Open Sesame that I got for a project that never happened. I'd be willing to give it a shot mainly to see if it will.

E-mail me privately & can take it from there.

Return to posts index

jim lefevre
on Jul 23, 2019 at 3:03:58 pm

Mark,

Oh wow, that would be incredibly helpful and yes, almost just to see if it's possible to get it all back. I'd be very curious to see what's there.

There are three projects of varying sizes (between 190MB and 450MB of footage) and it looks like very few effects (and of those I think most that are native to AE).

It would be amazing to be able to up-save it to then be able open it up in anything accessible with the Creative Cloud AE that I can download - it looks like CC2015 is the earliest version and that can open up AE 7 - but that really is me taking the mickey of your already kind offer!

Anyhow, I'll try and figure out the best way to send it/them over to you if you are still up for it! My email address is fliptopjim -at- gmail -dotcom if that's a more useful way forward!

Many many thanks in advance!

Jim

http://www.jimlefevre.com

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Jul 23, 2019 at 9:09:22 pm

As an update, the files Jim sent were in fact AE 5.5 as mentioned, not CS5.5. CS6 complained. So, dug out my copy of AE 7.0 Pro, my very first AE. Entered serial number, but then a window asking for a Qualifying Product comes up. Wha??? never asked for that before & this wasn't an upgrade.

So, continued as Trial as this was just to test. Install completed but AE7 simply would not even start. This system is an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX and dual RTX cards. Too much newness I suspect.

So as a last resort, I decided to try installing on my previous Win7 system. Still asked for a Qualifying Product, but AE ran. Saved the project out as an AE7.0 version & copied over to the Win10 system. CS6 opened that & I saved off as a CS6 project.

Jim was able to fully open the project.

So, the big question now, & I hope Dave is monitoring ...

Wait a minute. What happened to Dave? He isn't even in any back log of messages.

He was asked the same question back in 2015 on a different forum, but:

Why is Adobe asking me for a qualifying product when it shouldn't be, for something I bought nearly two decades ago? Was there ever a resolution? The original poster was directed to the forum for an answer when he called in to Adobe. Just special.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 24, 2019 at 7:51:56 pm

Mark, I don't know the answer to your question, but that was an incredibly cool and generous thing for you to do!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Jul 27, 2019 at 1:00:51 am

As an update, just tried to get some info from Adobe on getting past the Qualifying Product issue. They were useless, only suggesting I upgrade to CC instead of actually trying to resolve the issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]