FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shattering shattered pieces

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matheus Vargas
Shattering shattered pieces
on Jul 15, 2019 at 8:36:11 pm

Hey folks, I'm trying to animate a sort of disintegration effect, like the one in this gif:

https://imgur.com/Zlvf9Kz

AE's default "Shatter" effect doesn't solve it on its own, cause I need the object to be broken in pieces that sequentially keep breaking into smaller pieces, till it disappears. Didn't get a good result even by stacking the shatter effect on pre-comps. I tried to come up with a solution using Particular and other stuff like masks, but I couldn't manage to achieve the same result. Does anyone have any suggestion of what I could do to generate this kind of animation in a more automatic way? I need to apply this to several objects, so drawing every frame manually wouldn't be conveninent, timewise.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Shattering shattered pieces
on Jul 15, 2019 at 9:18:07 pm

That example has like 4-6 steps. That would be doable by hand. To change that we would have to know more, such as does it have a texture you need to keep track of? do the pieces have gravity? you know, that was a bad example from what I take you'll want.

The shatter effect is hard to control and it's pretty limited/unimpressive.

I'd try in two ways...

1-Break stuff in a 3d app and render it out. Replace the texture and change the seed, simulate again. It's fast to do that nowadays.

2-Or you could procedurally break it with textures (or noises) using luma (raising its levels) in AE. That would simulate the disintegration better but you would still have to animate some parts by hand to make the shattering less unified.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Matheus Vargas
on Jul 15, 2019 at 9:32:46 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. Actually, that example is exactly what I wanna do. No texture, just flat shapes disintegrating, breaking into pieces till it disappears while floating up. All the parameters as in that small gif I have animated, it's literally like that.

But I had to draw every frame manually to achieve that look, and I need to reproduce this effect in many different elements (similar size but different shapes), so drawing every frame manually for every object would take a lot of time.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jul 16, 2019 at 11:37:28 am

I see, I guess with that as a goal, nothing automatic would look as such.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jul 17, 2019 at 7:23:52 pm

ok so use the shatter effects and have the pieces shrink in size as they pull away...seems pretty simple.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]