FORUMS: list search recent posts

i7-7700k vs i9-9900k

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitriy Ivanov
i7-7700k vs i9-9900k
on Jul 13, 2019 at 11:00:10 pm

Hey guys!

I'm dissatisfied with the performance in AE, especially when I'm working with heavy plugins like Particular, so I'm thinking about upgrading from i7-7700k to i9-9900k for better real-time preview performance in AE. I'm barely interested in render time. How much faster will previewing be?

My current rig:
i7-7700k
16Gb of DDR4 RAM
RTX 2080
Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: i7-7700k vs i9-9900k
on Jul 14, 2019 at 7:03:52 am

Hey Dmitriy, while I can't objectively tell you what percentage difference you would get from CPU upgrade... Keep in mind that AE does not utilise multiple cores. 7700k has by default a higher clock speed per core, which could lead to similar performance.

While it used to be that more cores = faster, since higher core count CPUs run at a lower speed a CPU with around 8 cores will be faster than a higher core count CPU or even a dual CPU setup.

Puget Systems - Processor (CPU) for AE

You definitely need more RAM memory, as its your main bottleneck at the moment.

To do that, see what motherboard you have and make sure to add the same spec rigs (clock speed, timings). If motherboard supports 64GB, you might need to replace the current rigs as well if they are small in size.

In addition, if by now you are not unlocked the 'k' of CPU clock speed, you could consider overclocking it, instead of purchasing new cpu at this time.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Dmitriy Ivanov
on Jul 14, 2019 at 3:03:34 pm

Thank you for your answer! I just opened task manager, and indeed, AE used up almost all the reserved RAM. Definitely upgrading RAM

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 15, 2019 at 4:56:48 pm

[Dmitriy Ivanov] " I'm thinking about upgrading from i7-7700k to i9-9900k for better real-time preview performance in AE. I'm barely interested in render time. How much faster will previewing be?"

Also worth noting: in most cases, previewing IS rendering.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]