FORUMS: list search recent posts

working with protected region

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemier
working with protected region
on Jul 12, 2019 at 5:37:06 pm

So I noticed a Great feature of protected region, but Wow it seems unpredictable.

In this project I've been creating pre-comp animations with a little space in front and back, then protecting the animation.
Say my animation is 4 seconds. So I'll make the composition 5 seconds and protect the region.

In my main comp, that animation will only happen once. So using a protected region is nice for a few reasons. The main one being that you don't actually have to use time remap to just extend the layer. And when you do a time remap, you would want to create keys Just around your animation. With the protected region, the area where your animation happens shows up ON the layer, where those keys Would be. So you can visually see where things happen, even while collapsed.

Ok, so here's where it gets strange though. Now if you have that set up, create a 2 key animation. Something simple like, change the opacity.
Now, move where those keys from one side of the protected region, to the other side. WTF? Yeah, they acted weird as Hell! If you create keys Inside that region, they are fine.

It also forces those keys to weird timing. They'll end up between frames, unless you were lucky and perhaps scaled your timeline to exactly double or something.

So I think what is happening is it's doing a "behind the scenes" time remap without revealing it to you. Which means you get odd behavior like that, but have no control.

Just curious what other people's experience has been so far. It seems unpleasantly unexpected around every corner though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]