only show effect of the blending mode of one layer, not layer-content itself

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Konstantin Kulitschka
only show effect of the blending mode of one layer, not layer-content itself
on Jul 2, 2019 at 9:25:55 am

Hey,
I have a simple question, but somehow not easy to google, so here we go:

I have a PNG-Layer "Masks_Windows" with B/W-Shapes in my example, which should effect the layer below "2019..." with the blending mode Exclusion. But I don't want to see the actual white shapes of "Masks_Windows", I only want to see the effect onto the layer below (the nice negative effect)

Seems very simple, in other Software I know how to, but in AE I got a bit lost.

Help would be highly appreciated

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: only show effect of the blending mode of one layer, not layer-content itself
on Jul 3, 2019 at 12:59:18 am

Hi. I think what you want to use is a "Track Matte".
Turn your blending mode to normal.
On the Fabric layer, next to Modes/ "Normal" box, is the Track Matte box, twirl it open and select Luma Matte.

Is that what you wanted?

Return to posts index

Konstantin Kulitschka
Re: only show effect of the blending mode of one layer, not layer-content itself
on Jul 4, 2019 at 3:52:49 pm

Hey Greg,
thanks for your answer! I tied to so, but then the negativ-effect of my blending mode disappears and the factory-layer is only visible in the windows.
Is there anyway to keep the negative-effect of 'Masks_Windows' onto 'Fabrik' without seeing the actual white shapes of the 'Mask_Windows' layer?

Return to posts index

Konstantin Kulitschka
on Jul 4, 2019 at 3:56:08 pm

Here's what happens when I use the track-matte

Return to posts index

Konstantin Kulitschka
on Jul 4, 2019 at 3:59:25 pm

Sorry for the tripple-posting, but I attached the wrong image

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
on Jul 5, 2019 at 12:58:21 am

Hi Konstantin. I now understand.
Precompose a copy of your layers - Fabrik above Masks. Set Masks Track Matte to Alpha (the white windows should now wipe on)
In your main composition have two layers - the Precomposition above Fabrik. Set the Precomposition's mode to Exclusion.
That should do it(?).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]