FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to align 3D layers to the camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Bonet
How to align 3D layers to the camera
on May 29, 2019 at 10:00:44 pm

I've created a scene in C4D and then imported the camera, etc., to AE. Now I would like to put some 3D text on top but the text is being created by default at a weird angle and away from the center, as the C4D scene has a travelling camera.
I know the align tool doesn't work for 3D space (it would be about time Adobe makes it so that the align tool aligns objects to the camera view... but it's perhaps wishful thinking that Adobe will do any such thing) but is there any other way of getting a 3D object to align in position and rotation with the camera view? I.e. that such an object is placed actually perfectly parallel to the camera view?

Return to posts index

John Erdman
Re: How to align 3D layers to the camera
on May 30, 2019 at 12:53:51 am

Do you mean Auto-Orient?

Try selecting the 3D layer (or 3D null it's parented to), go to Layer < Transform < Auto-Orient, and select "Orient Towards Camera".

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: How to align 3D layers to the camera
on May 30, 2019 at 9:14:56 am

[Xavier Bonet] "I know the align tool doesn't work for 3D space (it would be about time Adobe makes it so that the align tool aligns objects to the camera view... but it's perhaps wishful thinking that Adobe will do any such thing)"

Please consider filing a feature request [link], so it's not just wishful thinking.

[Xavier Bonet] "but is there any other way of getting a 3D object to align in position and rotation with the camera view? I.e. that such an object is placed actually perfectly parallel to the camera view?"

A few years back, I wrote a script to do exactly this:

http://www.renderbreak.com/2014/02/after-effects-script-center-layer-in-act...

http://www.renderbreak.com/2014/07/after-effects-script-keen_3dlayertools/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]