FORUMS: list search recent posts

Morphing frames together to salvage laggy footage - (PT Framerestorer)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugo Mazzoccoli
Morphing frames together to salvage laggy footage - (PT Framerestorer)
on May 27, 2019 at 2:24:02 pm

Hello,

I shot a film on the bmpcc and used an incompatible SD cards (long story short) resulting in laggy footage, with sometimes 1 frame frozen over 1-2 seconds. I want to fix it by morphing the frozen frames together on after effects, and found a script called PT framerestorer that helps me do that.

PT FrameRestorer lets you select markers in your footage and will keep only the frames at the markers and morph during the between times.

However, for the purpose of my film I want to only morph the images where the frames have frozen and keep the frames moving where it's still at 24 fps. Any advice on how I could do that?

Thank you so much
Hugo

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Morphing frames together to salvage laggy footage - (PT Framerestorer)
on May 27, 2019 at 5:54:34 pm

I wouldn't use AE. I would try to transcode the footage using the free Handbrake.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hugo Mazzoccoli
on May 28, 2019 at 3:31:55 pm

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your quick response. The problem lies in the fact that the SD card could not record at the required speed, therefore I have many frames that get stuck, resulting in a video that is constantly freezing and jumping for small amounts of time. How would you recommend I use Handbrake?

Thanks,
Hugo

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2019 at 5:45:30 pm

I'm sorry, but there isn't any technique you can use to make that footage look good, if that's the case.

AE MIGHT be able to help a teeny, tiny, microscopic bit but your description tells me it's a lost cause. Any help from AE would be hours and hours of work for an almost imperceptible improvement.

I hope it wasn't important.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 30, 2019 at 4:32:02 pm

I would only do this if it was just one shot, critical to the movie, impossible to reshoot, had a maximum of five places where there were 1-3 frames missing. And it might still take days to get it right for that one shot.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 2, 2019 at 4:51:53 pm

Actually, looking at ptFrameRestorer, you mark the frames you want to restore, rather than those you want to keep, so theoretically does what you want. Realistically, it will only be able to do just so much -- perhaps a frame or two -- as it uses the TimeWarp effect to try and rebuild the frames. Don't know about the compatibility with current versions, but worth a try in some cases I guess.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]