FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low editing performance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Villoslada
Low editing performance
on May 27, 2019 at 1:10:24 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been visiting the forum for quite some time but I've just only registered because AE is running extremely slow and, whilst I am no expert, I think my computer should handle this much faster.

I'm trying to work on some UI / HUD for a video and I'm using this free project file: https://www.motion-cafe.com/index.php?page=free-ui-design-pack-after-effect...

I attach a screenshot of my computer configuration.

I haven't touched anything inside after effects, it is actually one of my very first times using the software and I don't really know what to play around with. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Luis

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Low editing performance
on May 27, 2019 at 6:01:47 pm

Many first-time users think AE is slow because they don't know how it works. They think "not instantaneous" is "slow".

Please put measurable numbers, e.g., "It takes 30 seconds to make a frame". And prepare to get more questions.

One thing I notice -- you're a little short on memory 16 GB would be better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on May 27, 2019 at 7:47:58 pm

My experience varies from HP Z monsters to nMP D700 full loaded trashcans.
Slow can be easily achieved by a few things.
Too many processes running at the same time.
Too many AI (vector) files in the comps/subcomps and for no reason at all...please export to PSD at one to one scale.
I teach AE at local college and I enforce this practice.
If you are not scaling something up to 1000x then why lug around that weight.
High pixel imports are culprits as well (again 1:1 scale).
If you really want to test your system, download the Nightflight AEP file and go to town.

Return to posts index

Luis Villoslada
on May 28, 2019 at 10:02:14 am

Dave, Eric, thanks for your replies.

The project file I'm using is a collection of different sequences, each of which varies in complexity, but they're all formed out of animated shapes. By reading Eric's comments on vector files (not .ai, but maybe shapes work in a similar way?) I'm thinking that might be the case.

Dave, I can't give specific numbers, but it is impossible to work in close-to real time fps even lowering the resolution to 16x16 lines...

Here is a screenshot of what one of the sequences look like, maybe 79 layers is too much?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 29, 2019 at 4:39:45 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 29, 2019 at 6:38:42 pm

[Luis Villoslada] "Dave, I can't give specific numbers, but it is impossible to work in close-to real time fps even lowering the resolution to 16x16 lines..."

If you need to DELIVER an animation that's 16x16, that's fine. If it needs to be more than that, DO NOT EVEN THINK about making a 16x16 comp!

Besides, you CAN give numbers. Go grab a stopwatch. Move the timeline cursor (aka CTI) to a new position. Start the stopwatch. When AE shows you an updated picture, stop the stopwatch. Now you have a good estimate of what it takes to create a single frame.

I expect it will be a long time. I see at least 79 layers. They're all 3D. I see at least one broken expression. Who knows what else is in that comp? Multiple lights? Motion blur? Nested comps? Do you know how to fix the expression?

It's clear to me that you know very little about After Effects. When you took on this project you probably thought, "how difficult can it be?" It can be EXTREMELY difficult! If you don't know what you're doing, I strongly recommend that you learn the basics and save a project of this complexity for later.

It should only take a couple of hundred hours to learn the basics -- I am NOT kidding.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]