FORUMS: list search recent posts

Texturize Effect alternative for depth in texture

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wouter Dijkstra
Texturize Effect alternative for depth in texture
on May 23, 2019 at 6:52:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I am adding textures to my 2D Vector animation and was experimenting with the Texturize effect. Though I'm not sure what it exactly does, I do like that it adds more 3D feel to my animations than a texture where I apply a specific blending mode.

I do feel Texturize doesn't give much control and was experimenting with making my own bump-map. But since I don't know how Texturize exactly works it gives me trouble getting the same sort of effect where I have more control over the texture-layer. Does it work with Alpha mattes? The explanation I read is that AE makes the layer transparant and than adds it to the layer that uses the effect. It still leaves me guessing how the effect precisely works, but it does remove the color of the texture layer, which I like.

I did end up experiment with Emboss, but the relief I see I can't apply to the layer I want. Maybe I need to use a displacement map?

This is what I get with Texturize (only works in 8bit):

Can someone maybe explain an alternative way to texture where I get this sort of 3D texture look, but where i have more control to influence the eventual look of the texture?

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Texturize Effect alternative for depth in texture
on May 26, 2019 at 8:33:00 am

Hey Wouter, here is one way how you could make some additional iterations to the Texturize effect.

1. Precompose the texture.
2. Open it and apply color correction effects like Levels, blurs, or anything else to change the way your texture looks & contrasts.
3. Pin 'Effects' panel while being inside that pre-comp.
4. Now go back to your main comp, apply 'Texturize' to a solid and set 'Texture Layer' to be your pre-comped item.
5. Tweak controllers and see how it changes visuals.

That way you can make a lot of interesting outcomes, and not necessarily with the texture - basically, with anything.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

Wouter Dijkstra
on May 26, 2019 at 12:40:15 pm

Hi Tomas!

Thank you for the reply. I will use your tips to tweak the effect more! Do you by any idea chance have an idea how the texturize effect exactly works? How is it possible it removes the color of the original texture and only shows the 'contrasts' and makes all the rest transparant. I was maybe hoping to replicate this effect without using the texturize effect itself.

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on May 26, 2019 at 2:41:56 pm

Well, there can be many ways how such outcome is achieved.

On the other hand, this is not like the texture's transparency is removed, but instead, bump map/normals are taken from it and then merged with the source of new layer, by the help of Texturize effect.

To build it manually, I believe it could be done by applying some effects and then playing with colors & blending modes.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.
Boxer - Dynamic Text Boxes Template with a Live Preview

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]