FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make this style motion blur [feather falloff before & after] ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lochlan Doyle
How to make this style motion blur [feather falloff before & after] ?
on May 16, 2019 at 3:32:22 pm

Hi all,

Looking to achieve this effect somehow to then (hopefully) recreate it for various other shapes such as extruded VR headset icon, drone icon, etc.

I notice that when I pause the gif, (or download it and see its frames) the blur happens both before and after its actual position, and doesn't have the usual look of most motion blur effects (i.e. repeated frames blended) It seems so simple when I watch it but as soon as I try to tackle it, nothing comes out the same.

Heres what it looks like when i stop at one of its fastest frames.

Let me know if y'all have any ideas!
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: How to make this style motion blur [feather falloff before & after] ?
on May 16, 2019 at 8:24:05 pm

On that example, no edge is in more than 2 dimensions at a time(its just circles rotated and displaced in 3d). That could be done in AE by having said paths to progressively reveal their stroke while animating the offset. Add a motion blur or forced motion blur, or the echo effect (whichever works best) and its done. (aside from them or a camera being rotated, of course).

If you want arbitrary 3d shapes, you just have to do the same in a 3d application. Not AE.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Lochlan Doyle
on May 16, 2019 at 8:45:40 pm
Last Edited By Lochlan Doyle on May 16, 2019 at 8:47:47 pm

Hey Cassius,

Yeah I've been trying the echo effect which certainly comes closest to what im looking for, and I'm aware of the fact that they are all simply 3D positioned planes, but again the issue becomes the blur that appears ahead of the point. I'm sure you're right in saying: 'progressively reveal their stroke' but how could I achieve this? mapping some kind of gradient mask?

Any info / tips would help greatly.

Thank you again!

L

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on May 16, 2019 at 9:13:26 pm

Things get a lot easier if you stay in 2d. For example I've made a test in 3d just now and I've got a pretty interesting result even without any motion blur, check it out:

13347_headset.mp4.zip

To get the blur I'd have to rely on textures instead of geometry, that would require more work than the 20m I had. So I just called it a day.

If you stay in a 2d iconic look, just animate the strokes in a precomp, add an echo for before and an echo for after, compose both (or just use CC force motion blur). displace all those precomps in 3d and rotate a camera. You may need to do this precomped animation in a higher frame count and speed up later... I'd have to test to be sure.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Lochlan Doyle
on May 16, 2019 at 9:30:20 pm

Omg! Ok I think you answered my question in the idea of having an echo before & after. Honestly hadn't considered this was even possible! just had to make the delay time positive instead of negative.

Thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on May 16, 2019 at 9:21:27 pm

[Lochlan Doyle] "'progressively reveal their stroke' but how could I achieve this?"

If you're using a shape layer, go to the stroke property, animate the end point %.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]