FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to find median value for any pixel vs the x number of frames before/after for same pixel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
How to find median value for any pixel vs the x number of frames before/after for same pixel
on May 6, 2019 at 10:46:18 pm

There are several filters which look great in PS, but are always seem too jumpy in AE. It occurs to me that the reason is that pixels move too quickly causing a chain effect that multiplies the difference. While super slow motion would work quite well, I'm looking for something that works in real time.

It seems that what is needed is something that looks ahead and behind by x number of frames (user specified), and finds the meadian, average, or other central value. I realize this would cause a certain type of blurring, but it should also help to alleviate the sudden jumpiness of frantically redrawn lines after various effects are applied.

So... sort of like MEDIAN filter, but averaging across time for same pixel, not neighboring pixels in same frame

I think I've seen a control to this end on certain filters before, but don't know what to call it, and would like to apply it to effects where it's not built in.

Is there already something built in that can do this? A script? How would I achieve this for prefiltering purposes?

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
Re: How to find median value for any pixel vs the x number of frames before/after for same pixel
on May 7, 2019 at 1:26:05 am

or... is there perhaps some other sort of time smoothing pre-filter approach I should also be investigating?

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
Re: How to find median value for any pixel vs the x number of frames before/after for same pixel
on May 7, 2019 at 9:48:36 am

You could start off your effects chain with CC wide time,
This will give you a sort of Time-Blur with falloff forwards and backwards

If you use CC Force Motion Blur, you can crank up Shutter Angle to the max 3600, which if you set the samples to 10 will give you the average (no fall-off: straight average) of this + the next 9 frames.
An even slower, but intra-frame alternative is the Pixel Motion Blur, it goes up to 5000° (about 14 frames) but you can set the shutter samples quite high and it'll try to guess where pixels are moving in-between frames (ver slow, and also just a straight average)

There's no true Median average, I think the first Method would be the best (and the fastest to render)

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on May 7, 2019 at 7:44:17 pm

OK, thx. Will give cc Wide Time a shot.

Any other general approaches to smoothing out video filters like cartoonizers with sharpening or others that tend to get jumpy due to exaggerating changes from frame to frame?

Return to posts index

Filip Vandueren
on May 7, 2019 at 9:32:23 pm

You should truy everythign in the time category ☺

Echo set to maximum or minimum blendmode is very good at eliminating flicker like you'd get from a highspeed camera that is filming faster than the refersh rate of lightys (fluorescents for example)

KC Denoiser (I think it's from Red Giant's keying suite) is good at time-averaging with a threshold, which is very effective for getting rid of aggressive high ISO noise for example,

these might also be beneficial first steps for what you're trying to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]