FORUMS: list search recent posts

Designing a movie poster in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Stillerska
Designing a movie poster in AE
on May 1, 2019 at 7:49:50 pm

TL;DR: I need to design a movie poster in AE and need to figure out the aspect ratio and resolution (in pixels - not DPI) of a movie poster. How do I properly set up an AE-comp for this?

Longer version: I know that this is not the ideal workflow or program for this, but I'm supposed to design a movie poster in AE. Yes, I know, I "should" use Photoshop for this, but because of reasons I don't have time to get into this needs to be done in AE this time. Anyway, what are the resolution (in pixels) and aspect ratio of a movie poster? I know that movie posters usually are made for print and therefore measured in DPI but since this one will be made in AE I need to "convert" it to pixels. Hardware is not a problem and therefore something gigantic like 30 000x10 000 pixels is fine. There are no delivery specifications since this is a film by a student, created as part of their coursework. How do I properly set up an AE-comp for this?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Designing a movie poster in AE
on May 1, 2019 at 8:17:24 pm

Pixel size = print size in inches * DPI

If you are doing a 24" x 36" poster and printing at 300 DPI, that works out like this:
24 inches * 300 dots/inch = 7,200 dots (pixels)
36 inches * 300 dots/inch = 10,800 dots (pixels)

So your comp size would be 7200x10800.

(But presumably your printer will have bleed, so it might really be more like 24.5" x 36.5" * 300DPI = 7350x10950 px, plus some safety area inside.)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on May 2, 2019 at 5:29:40 pm

Thank you, Walter! Great short and concise explanation as always!

Return to posts index

Ernest Rosado
on May 2, 2019 at 5:10:35 pm

Don't feel bad using AE for graphic design. There are plenty of us who prefer the workflow over Photoshop. Just be aware of the limitations and know that if you have to pass your work on to another (photoshop-using) artist they are not going to be very happy with you.

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on May 2, 2019 at 5:31:31 pm

Agreed!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]