FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicating Comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Wilde
Duplicating Comps
on Apr 30, 2019 at 4:04:10 pm

Hi

I've got a single comp, made up of several layers of artwork imported from Illustrator.

I've then duplicated the comp three times, but when I try to swap one of the layers in each comp for a new Illustrator layer it updates the layer on all three compositions.

I can kind of see what's happening, as all three compositions link to the same AI layer in the assets folder hence why it's updating all.

I guess what i want to do is somehow break the link in each composition and force AE to link to an alternative layer.

Is this possible? I'm sure I read somewhere about this sort of stuff whereby they had to create an AE shape from the AI layer as it's not possible to add new layers afterwards.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Duplicating Comps
on Apr 30, 2019 at 6:09:30 pm

Hey Mark,

from what you defined, such behaviour should be possible only in those cases:
1. If you are replacing actual .ai file/part (which is in the projects panel). In such act, you are replacing the single item, which is referenced in all duplicated comps. Meaning, all comps are pointing to that X item, and its replacement would cause change in all layers.
2. If, after duplication, you open new comp, and it has some other pre-comps with those .ai layers inside. That way, main comp duplication few times in the project panel duplicates only.
3. Both points above covers,assuming duplication of items are done inside the project panel. If you are doing this inside the comp, then you are simply creating the references of original. Opening any of those 'copies' is reference to the same original. Unique duplication is done only in project panel.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

Mark Wilde
on May 2, 2019 at 11:36:35 pm

thanks Tomas

1. If you are replacing actual .ai file/part (which is in the projects panel). In such act, you are replacing the single item, which is referenced in all duplicated comps. Meaning, all comps are pointing to that X item, and its replacement would cause change in all layers.

This is exactly what's happening, yet I have duplicated within the project panel which I thought was the correct way.

I guess I somehow need to duplicate the .AI illustration and relink this to the duplicated comp, so I have a duplicate of both the comp and the artwork contained within the comp.

How is the comp file linking to the .AI artwork? How can I change this?

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on May 3, 2019 at 7:55:38 am

If I understood you correctly, try to do this:

1. Duplicate your comp.
2. Import 'new' .ai files into the project.
3. Open duplicated comp.
4. Select new .ai file in the project panel, and layer to be replaced with new file inside opened composition.
5. Do 'CMD + OPTION + /' on Mac or 'CTRL + ALT + /' on WIN.

That way, you will maintain the same layers structure in the duplicated comp as it was in origin, but will replace layers with new .ai files.

Let me know if this helps or either if you need a different option!

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on May 4, 2019 at 1:34:42 am

One thing you can do if as a preemptive measure is create a bunch of blank layers in your Illustrator file so if you do need to add artwork in the future you can so easily. I'm not sure if the positions of your layers would shift with the introduction of new vector data, but what you could do is create a dummy layer that is the exact size of your AI canvas and just hide it inside of After Effects. I feel like shifting wouldn't happen after that.

I'm not tracking what you are trying to do. If you duplicate your comp 3 times, you should be able to option drag things from your project panel onto a selected layer and just have it affect that comp. Can you elaborate more perhaps?

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Mark Wilde
on May 8, 2019 at 9:42:31 pm

Thanks for your replies to this, I had sorted it using a work around but I am a newby, so need to understand for future use.

Here's what i have>

So Comp 1 > inside comp 1 links to Illustrator File A
So Comp 2 (duplicate of Comp 1) > links to Illustrator File A (as above)
So Comp 3 (duplicate of Comp 1) > links to Illustrator File A (as above)

If I change Illustator File A it changes in all comps (obviously)

But, if I nested Illustrator File A within another comp would this have solved the problem?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]