FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to scale one word at a time for emphasis

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Jenner
How to scale one word at a time for emphasis
on Apr 27, 2019 at 11:49:00 am

Hey all, I'm new to this community and I appreciate any help someone could offer!

I am trying to do a simple animation where I have a line of text and I want to scale up each word one at a time and then back to the original size. Added bonus if I can also retain the space between the words so if I scale up a word, it doesn't overlap with its neighbor.

For example (I'm using the bold function to imply the scaling)

This is my sentence
This is my sentence
This is my sentence
This is my sentence
This is my sentence

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: How to scale one word at a time for emphasis
on Apr 27, 2019 at 6:43:29 pm

Hello Steven, could you please specify how do you plan to change the words to be scaled? In addition, do you need animation to scaleUp >>> scaleDown to original value, or instant 'jump' from one word to another would be sufficient?

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

Steven Jenner
on Apr 29, 2019 at 2:25:53 pm

The initial thought process was each word would scale up and then back down individually to carry someone through a string of text and the spacing would also move to accommodate the scaling.

Instant jump would be sufficient, but having more control is always a nice option to have!

I ended up doing the thing by hand, but I was hoping to learn a more efficient method if one exists ☺

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 28, 2019 at 3:33:19 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 28, 2019 at 8:43:49 pm

I have a good notion of what you're trying to do, and it's all hand work. Nothing automated.

The basic scheme is to create a text layer of the whole sentence, laid out as you want it. Then you create a seperate text layer for each word.

Make the first word, the model for each subsequent word. In the paragraph settings, use center. Adjust the first layer's anchor point so it's centered top to bottom. Position it precisely over the first word you made earlier. Then you duplicate the layer, change the text and re-position. continue until you're done. Then turn off the whole-sentence layer's visibility, and you're ready to animate.

Now you can scale each word independently with the audio. Depending on the speed of the animation, it won't matter if one word overlaps another. Unless you're really picky. And if you are, you need a good Plan B.

Another more complex way to do it is to use text animators.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steven Jenner
on Apr 29, 2019 at 2:29:23 pm

Your thinking is where I ultimately landed. It was just so manual I wanted to make sure I wasn't creating work for myself when a simple automated solution was available and I was just ignorant to it. I'm glad to say I actually implemented it in the manner you suggested, so that feels good at least!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Mark Wilde
on Apr 30, 2019 at 4:21:19 pm

I'm very much a newbie, but I have been doing something similar and I've been using text animators to achieve this.

• Add a text animator for 'scale'.
  • Set your scale property at 120% or whatever.
  • Add 2 keyframes on the 'offset' layer . The offset should start at -100% on first keyframe and the last keyframe should be +100%. The range selector should start at 0% and end at 100%
  • Then set the Anchor point group to 'Word' (this way you won't have to mess around with scaling the tracking also) This is under 'More options'.
  • Use a 'smooth' property under 'advanced' (rather than ramp up or square) . 'Based on' should be words rather than characters.

You might need to tweak a few things and mess around with the scale, but I think that is everything, you should be good to go...

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on May 4, 2019 at 1:44:25 am

You can do it with expressions so that a scaled word would create a change in the space between the words and maintain their relationship. If this is a one-off, you might just want to manually do it, but if this is a frequent thing you do the expression route would be worthwhile.

I'm not a coder, but if you watch this part one:

and then search on youtube for part 2 of this series, it'll give you, I believe, the code and principles necessary to figure out your issue.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Steven Jenner
on May 4, 2019 at 10:53:09 pm

Thank you, Sir. I'll check it out. I'm always up to learn :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]