FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a solution - Illustrator files to AE takes long to load, and feels heavy.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
Looking for a solution - Illustrator files to AE takes long to load, and feels heavy.
on Apr 22, 2019 at 6:36:25 am

Hello!
I am experienced with the workflow, but I got a bit stuck on trying to solve my situation here:
I am about to get a bunch of AI files and hope to find a solution.
I have a 2K ~ resolution Illustrator file with several layers (simple set up less than 10 layers)
2 layers are large raster images, which i think are the problem.
The file is taking good ~15 seconds to load and feels heavy on the timeline.
If I delete those layers and import a cleaner AI file, and import those images independently, its all good.
I also have the hunch (and from reading some people complaining) that a PSD would also work fine...
Just wanted to ask here, is there something I am missing?
I just want to be able and import those pretty simple AI files and to work with them in AE...

Thank you so much for any input

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Looking for a solution - Illustrator files to AE takes long to load, and feels heavy.
on Apr 22, 2019 at 8:26:18 am

I would suspect the embedded raster images as well. They may be very large despite what size they have been scaled to in Illustrator (Illustrator file size with and without the images may give some clue to it), and I don't think AE does any optimization on them. You would be better off figuring out the largest size you need them at in your AE project and resizing the embedded raster images to that resolution (or, more likely 2X that resolution, that way you have some room to play with and antialiasing will work better).

If you are not planning on using extremely closeups of the illustrations with continuous rasterization on, you can also convert the entire thing to one flat image in Photoshop.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
Re: Looking for a solution - Illustrator files to AE takes long to load, and feels heavy.
on Apr 22, 2019 at 10:10:14 am

Thanks Kalleheikki!
I'm gonna move it all to PSD, there are no vectors...
I do have another Q that was born out of the move to Photoshop I will post it separatly.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Apr 22, 2019 at 10:10:54 am

Thanks Kalleheikki!
I'm gonna move it all to PSD, there are no vectors...
I do have another Q that was born out of the move to Photoshop I will post it separately.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]