FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto-trimming source videos for archival?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest Rosado
Auto-trimming source videos for archival?
on Apr 20, 2019 at 5:02:10 pm

Hi all,

This is a problem that is actually due to poor pre-planning on my part (and also the need to crank out a project quickly).

I had a very long source file, one long multi-hour clip from a video camera that comes in at about 2 TB.

I have 78 different comps adding graphics to pertinent sections of the source video, each comp is about 10 seconds.

Now it's time to archive the project, but I don't want to permanently save the entire 2 TB source video file, just the bits that I've used (maybe plus a second or two on each side) in my comps.

In Sony Vegas, you're able to easily archive projects and the software can auto-create trimmed copies of the source media. Does such a function exist in AE? How would you approach this problem (aside from chopping up the file in advance, which is no longer an option)?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Auto-trimming source videos for archival?
on Apr 21, 2019 at 6:53:44 am

Sounds like a largely manual task, especially getting just the footage without the effects and animations.

rd: Comp Setter and rd: Scooter scripts might help you, the former in extending each comp by 2-4 seconds, the latter in moving the layer content forward 1-2 seconds for the beginning lead-in.

Then disable any effects and animations and render out each in a lossless format.

Someone may have a better idea.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Ernest Rosado
Re: Auto-trimming source videos for archival?
on Apr 21, 2019 at 8:30:48 am

Thanks, I was worried that might be the case. I suppose I could recompress the source footage to lossy and then do a replace on the file in the project but I'd hate to lose quality on the source and still have it take up more space than it should.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]