FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motherboards?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris DeVere
Motherboards?
on Apr 20, 2019 at 5:17:32 am

I've got a slightly older, but still fairly decent computer. But the things I am doing in AE are starting to show the limitations of my system. I've been reading around, researching, and thinking over the build for a new computer.

I am pretty certain that the i9-9900k is going to be the single best option for my circumstances. I'm still financially limited to the best consumer-grade systems for what we do, as well as single node licenses. I need something that will be nimble, and RAM optimized enough to keep things smooth while I work, but balanced enough to keep bottlenecks to a minimum. I want something that will render as quickly as possible.

This post is focused on the best systems board available for my purposes right now, but also interested in what might be coming down the pike that could make waiting a moment worthwhile.

Right now my first choice is the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi.

I'd love to hear why that choice is wrong and what the better option might be? As well as why the i9-9900k is only the best choice temporarily because [X] will be here soon.

Worth noting, I'll be shooting for the best GPU I can afford at the time of purchase, but that's outside the scope of this post. I'm also planning on running at least 5 SSDs, and an HDD with as many of them being NVMe drives as the board/chipset I choose can handle, with a dedicated cache drive taking prime NVMe spot, as well as the primary dedicated assets drive. The drives will look something like this:

NVMe 1: dedicated Adobe cache
NVMe 2: dedicated current project specific assets
NVMe 3/SATA3 1: dedicated project output/render destination
SATA3 2: Bulk General Asset Library
SATA3 3: OS/Apps/Project Files

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

- Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Motherboards?
on Apr 20, 2019 at 3:43:54 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 20, 2019 at 4:17:49 pm

You didn't mention anything about memory, and 16 gigs is pretty much the minimum you need these days. It's not a whole lot in AE terms, but you can get stuff done.
If you're also considering using Premiere Pro, make it 32 gigs. 4K video is a RAM hog.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ernest Rosado
on Apr 20, 2019 at 5:07:12 pm

You might consider waiting until this summer when AMD releases their new Ryzen lineup. AMD has really caught up to Intel in terms of performance, and it's possible that this new third-gen Ryzen architecture will finally exceed the current Intel lineup (since Intel has been dragging their feet on Ice Lake). AMD is also considerably less expensive than Intel (the Ryzen price to performance ratio is heavily in the consumer's favor), leaving you extra cash to spend on things like more RAM or a better video card.

Return to posts index

Chris DeVere
on Apr 21, 2019 at 6:18:39 am

I didn't include memory because it was outside of the scope of the post, I'll be getting 64GB of RAM unless I can guarantee that I will be able to get 128GB (4x32GB) to work with this MoBo/Processor combo with the BIOS update that Gigabyte offers. I haven't done the requisite research to know for sure what it entails and what it applies to so for now I'm planning on 4x16GB of G.Skill 3333Mhz DDR4.

As far as switching to AMD, that's possible but I have to admit that I tend to be partial to Intel/NVidia/MSi components, and Gigabyte Motherboards. AMD would have to show up in a big way to get me to switch but ultimately I'm looking for the best system I can build in the sub-workstation class parts realm.

I'm also switching the MoBo in the OP from the Aorus Pro WiFi to the Aorus Z390 Master because it supports 3 NVMe drives.

- Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]