FORUMS: list search recent posts

For a relatively long video : Organisation tips

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Guionnet
For a relatively long video : Organisation tips
on Apr 17, 2019 at 6:43:05 am

Hi,

I am working on a series a relatively long videos (more than 30 minutes), and I was wondering how to organize my work flow.

Should I create all my compositions and assemble them in AE ?

Or is it going to be so messy that I should include Premiere in the process and assemble there my short footages built in AE ?

Any other advice is welcome obviously.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: For a relatively long video : Organisation tips
on Apr 17, 2019 at 7:21:29 am

Hey Nicolas,

it all depends on the nature of the project. Could you specify the following:
1. How complex the whole edit will be?
2. Is it mainly video edit with visual assets here and there, or more heavy AE work required process?
3. Structurally, is your project has certain story parts, which could be clearly separated by meaning?

Cheers!

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 17, 2019 at 8:38:01 am

Hi Tomas,

In fact, there will be a set of 30 seconds to 5 minutes Ae animations (mostly 2D) that will be synchronized with a sound track.
The soundtrack is the backbone of the video. So the work is mainly concatenating the animation and adjusting the key frames to get the right synchronization with the auto.

These AE footages won't contain much video (I mean out of a camera in real world).

The project could be divided into parts, if it is preferable for technical reasons.

Thanks for your answer !

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Apr 17, 2019 at 11:00:06 am

Nicolas, if you choose to split the project into different parts, then you will have to make sure audio is separated into individual pieces properly as well.

Anyways, I would suggest to divide the topic into more parts, just to have more convenient workflow, and not a single massive .aep project.

Later, you would render out individual pieces and connect them together, either in Premiere if its simple sequence merge, or with AE (if some more complex transition work would be required between the pieces).

To begin with, I would do the following:
1. Create a master project, which has the structure which you are familiar with (including all folders/main comps/repetitive items which might be used later (if possible to plan this),etc)
2. Inside the master, pre-comp audio file.
3. Create 'part comps' of the master's audio file. Each scene will have its own audio layer cut, from master pre-comp (N overall).
4. Save as this project N times with incremental file names and then work on every individual piece animation in each .aep file.

It is as straightforward as it sounds. Based on this you can see, that it is possible to face an issue where the same assets re-use is required for other portion, yet you might not have them in the same project file ☺ There are tools which allows to simplify this, but you can always import other project into panel and leave out only whats needed.

Find out more:

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 17, 2019 at 3:23:20 pm

Well, Thanks a lot Tomas, That's clear ...
I'll be back on this page I think, to (re)-re-read your answer and apply it.

T H A N K S !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 17, 2019 at 8:19:05 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 17, 2019 at 10:40:04 pm

Don't forget to take advantage of the speed that Premiere Pro will give you in laying out your audio and camera video. Once you're happy with with the timing in Premiere Pro you can import the PP project into AE to create the portions that AE will do best.

Got sound effects? Wait until you bring the animations from AE into PP to add them -- it is a LOT easier to sync them up with the animations in PP!
In fact, you don't need ANY audio from AE -- it would already be in PP!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 20, 2019 at 4:32:47 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for your answer,

The truth is that I don't have much experience of audio in PP and NONE (!) in AE.

I am not sure about the way I am going to deal with the audio yet. I first thought that sound would be recorded first, and then all the animations and keyframes would be synchronized with it. Audio is master, key frames are slaves. But this last step cannot be done in PP ...

I must admit ... I am a bit confused. I should make tests first ! :)

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 20, 2019 at 4:35:01 pm

By the way, how do you deal with successive destructive compression that may occur when you export and import footages ?

(From Blender to Ae to PP) ... do you always export in a lossless format ?

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Apr 22, 2019 at 8:02:38 am

For such A>B>C program use cases - you should definitely go lossless (either single file or image sequences). If space is an issue, try to compare few lossless format outputs and see which generates smallest files.

Find out more:

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Apr 22, 2019 at 8:32:50 am

[Nicolas Guionnet] "(From Blender to Ae to PP) ... do you always export in a lossless format ?"

Almost always, especially with animation.

If dealing with really long footage, I sometimes settle for 95% quality jpeg compression. But always keep the option to go lossless if it turns out (in color correction and grading) that this becomes a problem in some scene.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 22, 2019 at 9:08:57 am

Thank you Kalleheikki and Tomas ( alphabetic order ),

Lossless then !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]