FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blender OBJ in stardust : all I get is plain colors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Guionnet
Blender OBJ in stardust : all I get is plain colors
on Apr 16, 2019 at 10:00:33 pm

Hi,

I am testing Stardust ... and that's great. But the documentation is not as explicit as it could be ...

I imported an OBJ from Blender. It has 2 materials and the 2 colors appear, but only with an ambient light, and there's no shadow or reflection.

I just get plain colors.

If I switch it to a point light or spot light, the OBJ is black.

I have been struggling with the options for a few hours and it seems I have tried every possible option in Stardust.

Any clue ?

Thanks,

13275_boulesplateau2folder.zip.zip

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Blender OBJ in stardust : all I get is plain colors
on Apr 17, 2019 at 8:47:05 pm

If I recall right, it has something to do with the UV mapping selection. Try switching the mapping from the default. Haven't used Stardust that much yet, but I ran into the same issue and I think it was either changing the mapping or the material that fixed it.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 17, 2019 at 9:51:31 pm

Hi Kalleheikki !

Thank you (once again). Yes, it is the UV mapping. I changed UV Mapping Model to Sphere ... Isn't it weird ? Sphere ?! 😃

For my model is not a sphere but ... an OBJ model. I think that, without your help, it would have taken another week for me to find this ...

Before :

After :

It is not perfect yet but ... there is probably some quality parameter somewhere that I am going to find ...

Great !

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 17, 2019 at 9:54:59 pm

... I forgot :

Did you deal with this issue while importing an OBJ from Blender ? ... I think you told me you don't use Blender that much.

So it's not a Blender to Stardust problem ... rather reassuring for I dread that king of ultra-specific oddities that kill your day ...

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Apr 18, 2019 at 9:29:41 am

I use Blender plenty, but I haven't used the combination of Blender export to Stardust import more than a couple of times. I would expect it to work if the model was exported with UVs from Blender.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 18, 2019 at 10:14:36 am

Well, I am going to re-learn Blender. 5 years or more is enough to forget most of what I knew. I will try the export with UV.

The low quality issue a got (2nd image) was solved when I removed the motion blur option of Stardust.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Apr 18, 2019 at 12:52:21 pm

On the plus side, Stardust customer support is very responsive. Talked to them plenty this past week. There's light at the end of the tunnel: They are working on node-specific sample files that (as I understood it) are going to be linked to directly from the manual. So (hopefully soon) it should be easier to learn what the logic behind each node is.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Nicolas Guionnet
on Apr 18, 2019 at 2:13:32 pm

Great !

> "On the plus side, Stardust customer support is very responsive. Talked to them plenty this past week. "

Did you use the forum or did you send an email to them directly ? ( I tried the forum a couple of days ago and my post is not published yet ... ans some are 8 months old or more and did not get any answer).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]