Character Rigging in After Effects - Puppet Pin Tool and Rubberhose 2

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Koeth
Character Rigging in After Effects - Puppet Pin Tool and Rubberhose 2
on Apr 16, 2019 at 1:03:19 pm
Last Edited By Sascha Koeth on Apr 16, 2019 at 5:44:13 pm

Hi !

I am trying to rig 2D character in After Effects. I am using Rubberhose 2, but the same issues accuse when only using the AE Puppet Pin Tool:

1) I am building my character with the RubberPin solution. It basically works fine, but I would love to get the „bend Radius“ really small, so the arm is getting an edged elbow when it bends. I have read that in RubberPin I can not use the Bend Radius option but I could achieve similar results with placing starch pins. I have tried all kinds of pin numbers and positions and mesh grid resolutions. Attached you’ll see what I found to be the best solution to get as pointy as possible with the elbow. But that is still way too rounded for what I was looking for.

Is there any way I could get more straightened upper and lower arms and by that an even edgier elbow?

2) The second question is more a general one: I discovered that basically the complete area around the upper arm is a no-go area for the wrist to go. When ever I try to move the wrist into the initial area of the upper arm or in this case the AutoFlop area, the Rubberpined arm is getting wobbly and jumpy. See attached image.

Is there any way to avoid this within the setup? Or is there a „common way" how to solve the problem of wanting the character to (for example) point in the direction of the viewer? Or any other arm movement that involveshaveing the hand overlapping the upper arm or even get close to the upper arm area or the center?

Thanks a lot! Hope for some help…

Sunny greetings

Sascha

HAYWOOD Digital Studio

http://www.haywood.de

Update:

Just managed to fix both problems myself! Solution:

1) Only set as little as possible starch pins. One close on either side of the Center Pin.

2) Set mesh grid to max density (12)

3) Set mesh Expansion to only 1

4) Reduce Autoflop Falloff to only 10

That works fine for me now although it would be still nice to have a solution for those (now way smaller) „Wrist passes autoflop in upperarm area“-Problems… Any ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]