FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just came across this benchmark "if money was no object" video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
Just came across this benchmark "if money was no object" video
on Apr 9, 2019 at 10:05:46 pm

There's a bit of a ad aspect to it but there's a bench mark file to down load and test on your own system. Curious to see how it fairs on our beasts. The spec's on our machines are technically better than the Puget boxes but, are they better for AE? Its the old "cores vs mhz vs gpu" question.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Just came across this benchmark "if money was no object" video
on Apr 10, 2019 at 5:23:34 pm

My first problem with that video is who uses JUST AE? Perhaps someone highly departmentalized in a relatively big company. Its certainly not my case.

For example a RTS 2080 GPU is a total overkill - budget wise - if you stay with the basic editing/tools. Yet it may not be enough to do hardcore stuff with Element 3d and god forbids you end up using a multi GPU renderer for any extra application you may use. If money had no objections, they should have taken the best single GPU. those 3GB more could mean loading a model to VRAM that otherwise may not load on 8GB.

AE has an actual pretty simple go to formula. Get more ram and a higher clock CPU. They got that right. But scoring higher on a benchmark that they created seemed a cheap tactic.

And since I live in Brazil, where you have to consider triple the price most of you guys pay for parts (to put things into perspective). I'm usually more interested in bang for bucks than raw power.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 10, 2019 at 5:46:01 pm

Hey Cassius,
I was feeling the same way but wanted some feedback to confirm.
I didn't understand your comment:
But scoring higher on a benchmark that they created seemed a cheap tactic.

It really depends how you use AE - one should build a box based on that. As you say, using Element or not, raytracing or not, wanting to multitask or not, will all inform that decision. I have a feeling this was more of a marketing technique or a way to write off a hardware purchase under the guise of a youtube review, than a true "lets find the best solution".

These days its pretty hard to find someone who is using AE and NOT using a 3D package in concert. If the shop is compartmentalized enough so that AE would be the only app that lives on a particular box - an "AE station" as it were - then that shop is probably using something else (Nuke, Sabre, Discreet etc)

The cost of that box they spec'd also seemed a little stratospheric for what you get. I mentioned that running the benchmark on our machines beat their numbers because we built ours for just over $3k CAN$! (so what's that, $1.95 USD?) Bringing that box into Canada would bring it up into the $8K range CAN$. I could fabricobble a nice little render farm for that price that would wreak havoc with that benchmark.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 10, 2019 at 5:52:34 pm

[Steve Bentley] "I didn't understand your comment:
But scoring higher on a benchmark that they created seemed a cheap tactic."

They had Puget create a benchmark then asked Puget to beat their scores on that same benchmark. Puget knows exactly what the benchmark needs! That's not your everyday usage...

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 10, 2019 at 6:23:25 pm

Ah, right: tailoring it to get good numbers. That would never happen in this day and age would it? You've been watching too much "fake" news! ( I couldn't resist)

I've always been interested in why AE is as slow as it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm a dyed in the wool evangelist, but compared to Nuke, Fusion, Discreet, and Sabre, its kinda pokey, both in rendering out and in getting about the interface.

Is this a function of legacy code that is just too hard to circumvent without "starting again"? Is it remnants of old Mac architecture left over from COSA days? Is it Adobe trying to keep it compatible with other Adobe products? By 2019 it should just be faster. Or is it just development dollar availability? Or perhaps developer apathy.

If you compare AE to the above 4 package in the following areas, it's just fallen behind (or maybe always was)

Real time play back - not really real time if you have to wait for caching. When you get into hundreds of elements even the big boys have to cache. But on a simple BG, matte and element shot, we still have to wait for the cache.

Larger frame sizes seem to make the time lag exponentially worse. The big 4 do get slower but not precipitously so.

Scrolling down through the comp's layers has never been quick and I've never understood why. (Pshop has the same issue)

Even moving mask points around. This used to be much worse and it has improved. You might not even notice a lag now in AE2019. Until, that is, you've spent time on any of the above 4 packages.

And added-in code or expressions runs interminably slow - you might not notice it until you have a ton of recursive stuff. (this may be a function of the compiler(s) Adobe has chosen)

All of this is not me complaining (ok maybe a little) but more a query as to why I always feel I'm driving a VWbug (that I love dearly) within a pack of race cars.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 10, 2019 at 7:46:06 pm

[Steve Bentley] "Ah, right: tailoring it to get good numbers. That would never happen in this day and age would it? You've been watching too much "fake" news! ( I couldn't resist)"

I didn't mean in that conspiracy kind of way. I just meant that if you make a test that requires a lot of CPU and then you go and put in the fastest single core available, you can't really say you've "tailored" to get the "best AE machine". To be honest I haven't looked into what comprises their benchmark. I'm just saying don't brag about beating other people's numbers, when it seems obvious you can do it.

About what you said of AE feeling outdated. I share the feeling, every aspect you cited, I've seen it evolve and happen during all these years. TBH I haven't used any of the other compositors, but I use C4D a lot. 5 minutes with that and every other adobe product seems lackluster.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 10, 2019 at 6:00:49 pm

[Steve Bentley] "beat their numbers because we built ours for just over $3k CAN$!"

That's a little over what we usually spend on hardware here, but it's not a lot and if you end up beating their scores. Its actually pretty good, more than I expected for that price.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]