FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a matching camera in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Hilkewich
Creating a matching camera in After Effects
on Apr 9, 2019 at 8:02:45 pm

Hello everyone.

I hope you can help me.... I am NOT a very technical person, please keep this in mind.

We shot a documentary with a Sony FS7 on a 10mm lens. No I need to re-create that same camera in After Effects. I am pretty sure that it takes more than just setting the focal length to 10mm.

Can anyone help me out,

Thanks,

Jack

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Creating a matching camera in After Effects
on Apr 9, 2019 at 8:09:32 pm

I'm not very technical on that aspect also but I think that other than any distortions that your lens may add to the footage (such as fisheye vs normal). Setting a camera to that same length is about it.

What do you intend to do in AE and what's coming up odd/wrong?

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Jack Hilkewich
on Apr 9, 2019 at 8:17:18 pm

I have made a decision to do everything in 10mm, so it was shot entirely with a 10mm lens. I will have 3d animated re-enactments that will also use a 10mm lens. After effects will be use for shooting the still pictures. I have only briefly made a test project and set the camera to a 10mm focal length. I just don't know if this is the correct way to do it. The real camera has some barrel distortion. Another question is, since I will try and minimize the distortion of the video footage should I even try to add distortion to my After Effects camera in order to match it?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Apr 9, 2019 at 8:35:07 pm

[Jack Hilkewich] "The real camera has some barrel distortion. Another question is, since I will try and minimize the distortion of the video footage should I even try to add distortion to my After Effects camera in order to match it?"

Yes, if we were talking about photos, I'd say remove the distortion prior to working with it. But in a video, its perhaps easier to add the distortion to the post work than cropping the adjusted footage. I'd say that adding the distortion is a must for realism (if some relevant distortion is present, of course) and no too much trouble if you're using it always full frame. If you happen to move/scale some shots around it may become troublesome to adjust the distortion accordingly (since I'd use an adjustment layer for it).

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 9, 2019 at 11:15:36 pm

Remember too. 10mm doesn't mean much unless you know the sensor/gate size.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 10, 2019 at 4:27:49 am

I wouldn't make the decision to go all in before I had made tests to make sure everything was going to work properly. Shoot some test footage... make some test animations...

you know, work out the bugs so I know things will go well when I take on the project for real.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Apr 10, 2019 at 7:01:58 am

What you might want to do is print out a black reference grid image and shoot it with the lens in question. You can use that image as a reference for the amount of distortion you get. Then you can use Optics compensation in After Effects to see how much distortion there is (how much you need to undistort until the lines are straight horizontal and vertical at the edges). Then, depending on whether you want to remove or keep the distortion, you can use that amount of Optics compensation to distort the AE output or to undistort the camera input, whichever your aim.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]