Setting up a mobile AE Harddrive Fleet

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kasey Gay
Setting up a mobile AE Harddrive Fleet
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:09:37 pm
Last Edited By Kasey Gay on Apr 2, 2019 at 5:21:51 pm

Hi team,

Was hoping you could spare just a moment to help me make sense of a couple things. I’m trying to get a smoother After Effects experience, and also replicate that experience as easily as possible across different computers.

I’be tried to do my own legwork, but would love to have someone smarter than me check my work so I don’t go throwing away money. ☺

Story:
I’m a growing editor with a day job.
I can finish up an 8 hour work day in 2 hours some days, and I’d prefer not to waste my day on FB.
I’d like to run After Effects And premiere on my office computer and make productive use of any downtime.
Office computer ( I7 3.2. 32 gb ram. GE Force1050ti GPU)
I was trying to learn to use the roto brush yesterday and performance was hidieous.
I’m assuming right now that the Achilles heel is the storage. (4tb 5400rpm onboard disk. No scratch disk. )

Goal:
Maximize performance in the office.
Minimize the amount of files I leave there.
Grab and go portability. I’d like to be able to grab my personal work off my home computer, carry it to the office, and plug right back in when I get home seamlessly.

Actual questions:
1.The homework I’ve done says that faster storage is essential. (Three disks — one to hold your raw files. One scratch Disk for after effects. One to run your software from)
So I Buy three 1 TB SSD’s and plug them into the USB ports, correct?
2. Can someone help me understand why three disks are superior? I’m assuming it’s just an information bottleneck. That there are just more pipes to send information down, rather than clogging up the single pipe. Is that accurate?
3. My configuration says “USB 3.1 extensible host controller”. That means that my ports do operate at usb 3.1, c
rect?
4. If I only have 2 USB ports, do I buy A USB 3.1 splitter and run 2 of the disks through that or does running 2 disks throug 1 port create bottle necks. Alternatively, if I only ran 2 disks, what’s the ideal setup for performance? Leave programs on the slow 5400rpm internal disk, or is there a better setup?

Edit:
5.The current onboard drive is a 5400 rpm disk.
Is this whole project sunk from the get-go if I don’t get that swapped out?
6. Running SSD’s off of USB, is this any substitute for the internal drive or what am I giving up.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Setting up a mobile AE Harddrive Fleet
on Apr 2, 2019 at 6:43:34 pm

The choke points in your system are the USB ports. SSD's can read & write data a lot faster than USB's can handle it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]