FORUMS: list search recent posts

Move layer in/out points and keyframes concurrently

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Allen
Move layer in/out points and keyframes concurrently
on Apr 2, 2019 at 3:37:15 pm

Hey all, I'd love to know if this is even possible, or if there's a plugin that might help out.

I'd like to move everything highlighted in the above image further along the timeline; I can go and move the layers along the timeline, but they'll fall out-of-sync with the camera movements which are keyframed at the top. Obviously in this example it's not too hard to do it, but on other projects I've had to move multiple layers and retain relationships to many many other keyframes. Is there a way to ease this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Move layer in/out points and keyframes concurrently
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:39:03 pm

This is pretty easy... good to know, huh?
  • Put the timeline cursor at the desired point on the timeline, which should be where you want the in point of the first clip(s) to be.
  • Select the desired clips.
  • Shift-drag any of the clips, and all the selected clips go with it, maintaining their position on the timeline relative to each other.
  • The clips will snap -- so snap the first clip(s) to the timeline cursor

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Max Allen
on Apr 3, 2019 at 1:32:50 pm

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I seem to have not explained myself properly here and realise I uploaded the wrong image which explains why! New image is attached - I was wondering if there is a way to move the highlighted layers (and their associated keyframes, as you mentioned) at the same time as the keyframes of the green camera layer. The in/out points of the camera layer won't move. If there's a plugin that would make this possible, great; if not, I'll continue what I have been doing which is putting a marker on a layer that lines up with the first camera move, then reposition the layers, followed by the camera keyframes.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Apr 3, 2019 at 6:39:06 pm

Thats a good question. I think you might find this script useful https://aescripts.com/obsessive-layers/

This gives you the ability to trim layers based on their keyframes. I believe that would mean you can drag and select all the keyframes and move them all together. Then trim the layers to keyframes and it should effectively snap the layers to where you moves the keyframes. Havent tested this myself though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]