FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is my PC spec good enough to run AE? - problems with preview render speed.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dilan Mistry
Is my PC spec good enough to run AE? - problems with preview render speed.
on Mar 30, 2019 at 4:52:01 pm

Hi there,

I recently started to learn how to use AE, however I have experienced major problems with the preview speed whilst editing, to the point that it's impossible to edit.

I have been recommended to get an SSD, upgrade my GPU, and get more RAM. After Effects mention that 6GB of RAM is the minimum to run AE, whereas I have just above at 8GB, could this be a possible explanation as to why the preview is so slow.

My budget is a maximum of £500 to spend upgrade my PC, willing to push higher if needs be and ultimately pay for better spec since this is a long term investment. I'll be honest and also the first to admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable in this area so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please find below the spec for my PC. Please comment if there is anything more information you need that to make a fair judgement on the performance my PC, any particular upgrades that you would make, and how to improve my preview speed.

Thank you ☺

System type -Windows 10 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor
GPU - AMD RADEON HD 6450, Chip Type - AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6779)
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM - 8.00 GB

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Is my PC spec good enough to run AE? - problems with preview render speed.
on Mar 31, 2019 at 8:29:10 pm

Hey Dilan,

please also share what motherboard do you have as well as what type of RAM's are installed. This will answer the question how much more you could install to the current system.

Cheers.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

Max Haller
Re: Is my PC spec good enough to run AE? - problems with preview render speed.
on Apr 12, 2019 at 9:22:28 pm

I think your first upgrade should be your ram. Even going up to 16 gigs will give you a big boost in performance. Ram is very important for AE I routinely use up 30-40gigs not even doing crazy stuff. I'd recommend at least 32, that would use up the bulk of the your budget but getting that and even a 128gb ssd to use for your cache would probably help you alot.

An ideal hard drive set up is to have a few drives to use so that you don't bottleneck anywhere. You want your fastest drive as your cache drive, one drive for reading your footage from and a different drive to render to. That will help a lot also.

If you're not used to buying new hardware you should check if your computer is using ddr3 or ddr4 ram everything from the past few years should be on ddr4 but if it's an older computer you should check. Also Like tom said your motherboard will determine how much ram you can plug in, but most recent computers should take 32gigs. you'll want to check if you have 2 ram slots or 4 ram slots on your board too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]