FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particle problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleksandar Petrov
Particle problems
on Mar 30, 2019 at 12:46:21 pm

Hello,

I have this footage and I have to create some magic particles. I'm using Trapcode particular for that. The problem I'm having is that these kinds of effects work through blending modes and particularly "Screen" and "Add" blend modes. And that is the problem.. The footage I have has a bright white background and putting magic particle effects on a "Screen" or "Add" blend mode makes them disappear because of the way they work. Of course, I read about all the blending modes and tried a few things but nothing I came up with worked. Can anyone think of a workaround that could help me get a nice result?

Thank you in advance !!!

P.S: If you need any information that I haven't provided - just say so😉

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Particle problems
on Mar 30, 2019 at 8:21:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 30, 2019 at 8:22:53 pm

Don't use a bright white background. Make it a little gray so the particles show up.
"Bright white" is as bright as you can make something.
How do you expect something like a particle to be brighter than that?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Petrov
on Mar 30, 2019 at 11:30:00 pm

Yes, that's exactly what I've been trying to explain to the customer but it doesn't help 😁

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 30, 2019 at 11:42:38 pm

Can we see some of the footage? (even still would help). What are the particles supposed to be? If they are supposed to be light, that's a tough one. On a bright day you can't see a candle flame so... It can be done with say blue soft edged particles but it never looks real because the light emitting particles should be brighter than the surrounding environment. And they should be brighter at the center than the edges but the edges then are darker than the environment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2019 at 1:41:52 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 31, 2019 at 3:12:17 am

Okay, then print this out:

Dear Client of Aleksandar Petrov:

I understand that you want Aleksandar to put animated particles over a pure white background. I am also told that you want these particles to be brighter than the background. Sadly, this is not something that Mr. Petrov or any other designer is capable of doing.

Pure white is the brightest color a computer can produce. There is nothing brighter. Therefore, there can be nothing brighter over a pure white background -- it does not exist.

Fortunately, there are design alternatives. For example, the background can be a little darker than pure white, and the particles can then be brighter than the background. Another example would be to use colored particles over white. These are just two alternatives.

I have done this sort of work since 1987. I have worked with many clients whose original vision changed over time as the design matured. Indeed, change is a necessary part of the design process -- it results it better-looking designs.

I invite you to allow Aleksandar to show you a few different design examples. You can discuss what makes them work well and what does not. I am certain the two of you can find a solution that you find pleasing.

Kind Regards,
Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aleksandar Petrov
on Mar 31, 2019 at 8:26:26 am

😂😂😂😂😂

Honestly, guys, you made my day !! 😁

However, after writing this post, I kept experimenting with the particles. And yes, the particles are supposed to be blue-colored light particles but even the color doesn't make them appear. So what I did is stack a few layers on top of one another (since the particles are mostly semi-transparent) and added a glow. That way they kind of showed up, but in a weird messed-up way, so I recolored them with using Video Copilots Color Vibrance instead of relying just on the Trapcode Particular's coloring and then used a few other minor tricks to make the particles look better and sent a test render to the client. Surprisingly, he loved it! So I guess the case is closed.

THANK YOU FOR THE FAST REPLIES !!!
I knew that the light particles would be a huge problem and told the client that before I even started the project, but at some point, I started doubting my competence on the matter and your fast replies helped me with that, so again.. THANK YOU !!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]