FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to fix cs6 2d layers effect from disappearing when 3d layer added in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eejay Powell
how to fix cs6 2d layers effect from disappearing when 3d layer added in after effects
on Mar 29, 2019 at 10:33:56 pm

Every time I want to make a layer 3D, the layer the I add a effect to like drop shadow, saber, and or gradient overlay disappears. How can I fix that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: how to fix cs6 2d layers effect from disappearing when 3d layer added in after effects
on Mar 30, 2019 at 5:18:03 pm

Yes. You will ALWAYS have problems when you mix 2D & 3D layers if you're not careful. Change up the vertical order of layers in the timeline and things will change.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eejay Powell
Re: how to fix cs6 2d layers effect from disappearing when 3d layer added in after effects
on Mar 30, 2019 at 6:54:25 pm

I need to re-phrase this question when I turn the 2D layer to a 3D layer and the effect I applied disappears, how can I fix that from happening? It happens every time I click on the 3D icon in the layer.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 30, 2019 at 8:18:42 pm

Saber is a third-party, Videocopilot effect. Follow the instructions to use it -- it's not intuitive.
For the others, you may have to precompose the layer and apply the effect to the layer in the pre comp.
And as always, mixing 2D & 3D is a crap shoot if the layers aren't in the right order. For example, you may want to blow off Drop Shadow -- intended to be used with 2D layers -- and use lights and the shadows they can create. If you set stuff up properly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Eejay Powell
on Mar 30, 2019 at 8:29:33 pm

Ok, I will try that. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eejay Powell
on Apr 1, 2019 at 7:45:39 pm

I try to pre-comp the layer and if fix the issue, but still having the issues. I turn the layer into a 3D then other layers start to disappears.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2019 at 11:13:47 pm

Are you doing the following:
  • Precompose the layer in question -- NO 3D
  • Open the precomp and add the effect to the layer -- NO 3D
  • Go back to the main comp and make the precomp a 3D layer

If you're not, you should. If you are, there's some troubleshooting to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Eejay Powell
on Apr 3, 2019 at 6:18:37 pm

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Apr 3, 2019 at 6:43:04 pm

Keep in mind when you turn a layer 3d it might go off frame. zoom out far and see if you can find any of the bounding boxes that have moved off comp. If that's the case you just need to adjust the 3d position so that it's back in frame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]