FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there any way to seperate a foreground motive via keying?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan Worc
Is there any way to seperate a foreground motive via keying?
on Mar 25, 2019 at 6:17:02 pm

Hi folks,

in detail I'm asking for a clip like this:
https://www.gettyimages.de/video/1056885128?offlinecontent=include&phrase=1...

Is it somehow possible to seperate the pullover/sweater from the rest of the clip to colorize it? I've tried a lot of things.
- Keylight 1.2
- Color range
- extracting it with Levels and Auto trace
- and many more

but nothing worked in an adaquate way.

Maybe here are some professionals who can tell me how to extraxct the pullover/sweater in a perfect way to recolorize it and also finally have an alpha mask of it.
This have to work somehow! No problem if you use 3rd Party plugins...simply name it. Our agency is able to buy them!

Greetz SteWo

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Is there any way to seperate a foreground motive via keying?
on Mar 25, 2019 at 6:48:05 pm

Easily done in Resolve using Qualifier.

Try roto in AE.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 25, 2019 at 7:38:18 pm

Hey Eric, could DaVinci really turn that sweater, say, deep red?

Stefan, as for Roto - try mocha. It would at least give you a hand with its smart shape detection. Normally when we know we are going to do the color shift thing we shoot the talent with some unique color sweater so that we can simply either warp the hue or replace the color. Any time you can get away from keying in this type of application it produces better results. (rotate hue instead of keying sweater or bg).

And here's an old Color Corrector's tip. If you are going to roto, do the roto on a separate copy that sits on top of the original, warp the color of that one and let it sit on top of the old one. This clip is perfect because the sweater is gray. When there are small "leaks" in the roto mask they won't be as visible. Back in the day when touching up color photos we used grayscale paints , not color- in small areas the eye is better at tone than color so it just assumes the small gray splotches are the same color as the surrounding things.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 25, 2019 at 8:42:46 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Easily done in Resolve using Qualifier."

I very much doubt so. The chair and the sweater have the exact same HSL values. You can't auto select one without the other. At least one roto for that is needed. I'd avoid automatic rotoscoping here since there are no clear edges. I'd mask her entirely then add the skin back on top (with a sat key).

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Stefan Worc
on Mar 26, 2019 at 2:09:51 am

Hi...Thanks a lot for your tips. I forgot to mention that in the end I dont only need to colorize the pullover but also an alpha or luma matte of it. We need this for further processing.
So I think the Resolve / Qualifier thing wouldnt be enough.

@ Steve Bentley is rotoscoping in Mocha really exact enough to catch the hair that is moving over the pullover?

@Cassius Marques You would mask her face+hair+arms? How would you do that? Not by pathing them, I hope! ☺ I also tried that via Levels and Keyscape. The problem is you always have the lights of the pullover also on your matte. And I need either her face+hair+arms as a matte or the pullover. The background and the chair is not so important bevause its easy to mask.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 26, 2019 at 2:21:42 am

Can you fill us in on why you need the mask? If its to do the color change, you might be better not trying to isolate the sweater perfectly with a hard edges matte: that's going to be tough.
I think even if you knitted the sweater out of green screen material it would still be tough pull. There are shadows, the hair is not really that different tonally from the sweater and background - its really a one tone poem going on there.
There is not going to be one technique that works here. Lots of roto, lots of garbage masks, lots of layering back in things like hair with transfer functions, lots of tweaking multiple soft edged keys.
I think a reshoot (or since this is stock, I think, just a "shoot") with a contrasting color for the sweater would give you more to work with.
I'm always amazed at Mocha, its pure Voodoo sometimes, but it too has its limits as Cassius rightly points out. I can't believe it would be any worse than doing it by hand as Mocha should take some of the repetitive shape differentiation off your hands, if it can't do it all. Remember, you don't have to do the whole sweater as one piece - you can stitch all the bits together on top of each other in the end.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 26, 2019 at 8:38:43 pm

[Stefan Worc] "Not by pathing them, I hope!"

Yes, The only masks needed are loose lines that separate the right bg and the left chair. The rest is keyable. Since you're changing a low sat midtone, her skin wont be affected. neither will the highlights and shadows.

I say that for that specific footage. I hanven't seen whichever action she does on the others of that same series (If any).

Nonetheless I'd still need to see a final look for the color you want to change to. Maybe the visual won't be achieved with just what I'm expecting.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]