FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow Check

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Mars
Workflow Check
on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:48:52 pm

Hello!

So upfront full disclosure, I am a video editor primarily who sometimes dabbles in After Effects.

I have a client that has artwork they want to animate, and I had the idea to try and create a moving wave feel to this part of the image.

Now here's my basic thought process.
Apply a find edges to it, and then use that layer to auto trace a mask onto all of the red, green, and blue "waves" separately. (Or, more specifically, the part of the 'wave' that was found by the "find edges".) I say separately as I'm assuming this is the easier way to get the best results, compared to just using alpha or luminance on the auto trace.
Then I would wiggle these new masks that I auto-traced, with heavy feathering on all layers, to give just a subtle appearance that the waves themselves are moving a little bit.

Now I'm certain that exact workflow would not work. For one, as I understand you can't wiggle a mask anyway. And I know you are all busy and this is at its core a very vague "help me". So my questions are:

Am I even moderately on the right track?
What are some tools that could be useful for the effect I am trying to achieve that I should look into as well?
Is there a workflow (outside of just my mind) where I could use find edges and auto trace to give me masks, and then applied those masks back onto the main image so I could use them to animate it? Maybe as an adjustment layer?

Apologies for the vagueness and appreciate anyone who could even point me towards things I should research.

Thanks,
Nick

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Workflow Check
on Mar 25, 2019 at 8:16:48 pm

That's a pretty simple gradient. Why not start from scratch and make two gradients you can apply a ripple or wave to. Then you aren't fighting the built in ripple. From there you can animate the wave, the colors, the position or offset of the colours and it's a simple comp over you man footage.

Return to posts index

Nick Mars
Re: Workflow Check
on Mar 25, 2019 at 8:55:06 pm

Thanks for the response Steve.

I constantly run into the (very editor of me) problem where I try to manipulate what I have instead of using new elements combined. Will be sure to try out this solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]