FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a very long text box and make it slide

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giulia Vigna
Creating a very long text box and make it slide
on Mar 25, 2019 at 12:04:09 pm

Hello,
I need to create a video of text sliding by, the text is very long (200 pages).
Usually I would create a box of text, drag it and make it slide with the position effect, but in this case the text it's too long to do that.
how else can I do it?
I was having a look around and maybe null objects are what I need, but I'm not sure how to use them
Thanks
Giulia

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Creating a very long text box and make it slide
on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:32:07 pm

While there is nothing wrong with using a null (just create the null and pickwhip the text object to the null and then animate the null around - the text becomes a child of the null), the text object has it's own position parameter. You can just animate that.
Be careful though. Dragging text vertically (and to some extent horizontally) can create judders if not done at certain speeds - its all to do with the way video refreshes (and film fps rates). Using motion blur helps too.

Return to posts index

Giulia Vigna
on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:35:15 pm

ah! and what's a way to avoid that? higher up the fps rate when exporting? when you say it depends by the speed, do you suggest having it faster or slower?
also, for some reason I can paste text only when is smaller than 12pt, if I make it bigger it disappears, any idea why?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:39:43 pm
Last Edited By Steve Bentley on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:40:03 pm

There's some clues in your post that makes me think you might not be approaching this correctly. The font size is determined by the text object parameters so copying the text from another document shouldn't be affecting the outcome in AE. But there might be other formatting information that is coming in with the copied text (leading for instance) that might push the text "out of view" in a single line text object. Can you upload the project? (just drag it into the reply box here)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 25, 2019 at 8:25:45 pm

May I ask what this is for?

I ask because television broadcasters have specialized equipment to do this very thing. I am sure you have seen text scroll at the bottom of a television picture.

I also must ask how long you want this animation to take.
200 pages of text is a LOT, and the animation could be a couple of hours long!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Max Haller
on Apr 3, 2019 at 9:12:50 pm

Thats a ton of text. if you parent to a null like Steve was saying you might want to use an expression like this on the x position of the null.
just right click on position and seperate the dimensions

temp = transform.xPosition
temp+time*-60

You can change the 60 at the end to set the speed which the text will scroll across the comp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]