FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects alternative?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Ainscough
After Effects alternative?
on Mar 24, 2019 at 1:31:41 am

Looking for a inexpensive alternative to Adobe After Effects. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Rob.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: After Effects alternative?
on Mar 24, 2019 at 2:14:11 am

Hi Rob, It's a bit of a yes and no - depending on what work you do and the level of sophistication that you need. Two to have a look at - and the price is right:

https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/fusion/

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 24, 2019 at 2:25:18 am

Apple Motion.

Return to posts index

Rob Ainscough
on Mar 24, 2019 at 5:28:40 pm

Hi Eric,

I actually loved my Mac Pro and iMac, but I had to move to Windows based hardware simply because Apple just was NOT keeping up on the hardware front. I could get projects rendered and completed so much faster on my Windows hardware and just can't wait 3-5 years for Apple to decide "if" they'll upgrade the Mac Pro.

But I did love Motion and Final Cut (X has some growing pains) and Shake for that matter ... but those are days are no more as time is an important factor in my workflow.

Cheers, Rob.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 24, 2019 at 7:15:35 am

But then, what about all the neat scripts & plugs we've come to love that we mostly found here?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 24, 2019 at 3:39:17 pm

[Mark Whitney] "But then, what about all the neat scripts & plugs we've come to love that we mostly found here?
"

Thus "cheap and inexpensive" :)

Return to posts index

Rob Ainscough
on Mar 24, 2019 at 5:24:33 pm

Many thanks, I think HitFilm Express will do the trick.

I'm disappointed in Adobe's pricing ... I really only use 3 of their products, Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects ... yet Adobe don't offer that combination subscription ... have to do individuals at $21 each ($63/mo) or the complete ALL package for $53/mo ... so I end up buying stuff I don't need/use ... hence dropped the ALL package so I just have Photoshop and Premiere and thanks to your post HitFilm Express for free.

Does anyone know what happened to Adobe's MP4 compression support in Premiere? Is it a licensing issue? I had NO issues performance issues with CC 2017 using the exact same MP4's. But in CC 2018 and CC 2019 using the same MP4's results in horrible performance and unresponsive UI. I brought this up to Adobe numerous times and their response was add a media conversion process and convert the MP4's to a different format like HiRes ... which adds several hours to my work flow ... but why? The same MP4's work just fine in CC 2017 ... so what happened?

Cheers, Rob.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 24, 2019 at 8:28:14 pm

I've been with Adobe for, well... a long, long time.

Years ago, I won a full Production Premium Suite for CS5 and upgraded to 5.5 then 6. Of the suite, I probably routinely use eight. Running that thru the abacas at $52.99/mo. ... a paltry $635.88 for the year. Each year. Most will probably have to add some sort of sales tax I'm sure so pushing $700. About 1/2 - 3/4 of a Social Security check.

I just installed my long ago paid for copy of the CS6 suite on my new Boxx Apexx system. Purrs like a kitten so far but haven't really pressed anything yet or tried much to see if there are issues as you mention either but suspect not.

I'm not, nor probably ever will need to deal with the latest, bleeding edge 8K formats & esoteric codecs in a, time-is-of-the-ESSENCE, hard deadline day to day environment. Anymore at least. I just works with images & ideas at my own pace.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 24, 2019 at 9:35:23 pm

So Mark, are the Boxx boxes all they are touted at being? Whats the percentage of a social security check needed to pay for a Boxx?

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 24, 2019 at 10:58:28 pm

Hey Steve.

I'm quite pleased with first outings, but still adjusting the seat & putting on the streamers. Hope to take it out for a better drive this evening with AE & LW.

A couple minor issues with some software, still getting my sealegs with Win10, but YIKES. So far I can enable EVERYTHING, crank up the samples and TechPowerUp just goes "huh? You turn on something?" Did one of the Daz Ready to Renders scenes with Max Iray & a couple, "Let's take 'er to 11" tweeks, and took maybe 20 mins for a 1K x 1.3K output. When not rendering & just at the Desktop, if not for the power indicator you'd literally have to put your ear up to it to tell it's running.

Dual Viewsonic 27"er's with brush-touch sensor controls on the front edge of the bezel mounted on this bad boy:

And as to your question, had I not moved back to Orygun first, it have been set back another Grand in sales tax.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:47:37 am
Last Edited By Steve Bentley on Mar 25, 2019 at 5:51:50 am

What GFX card Mark?
And to keep on topic: there's an "educational" version of Houdini that's free and that comes with a compositor. And no you don't have to be a student to get it.
I wasn't aware Fusion had gotten so cheap! We gave up on it when they couldn't get around to adding a paint package (like some other app I know! - if only AE had a sister program that was a world glass paint package they could borrow from... sigh), so I haven't kept up with the takeover by BMD.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 25, 2019 at 6:58:51 am

Well, to just spill it's guts:

AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz) 32 Core
2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
64GB DDR4-2666 (4 - 16GB DIMMS
M2_Storage_1 1.0TB SSD M.2 PCIe Drive
Hard drives 4.0TB 7,200rpm SATA 6Gb/s
and of course 1- BOXX T-Shirt

AMD® Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors Liquid Cooled AMD® X399 Chipset
Quad Channel DDR4-2666 . . (8 DIMMS)
(8) Serial ATA 6Gb/s ports * . . (RAID 0 and 1)
(3) M.2 Port (1) U.2 Port Shared with M.2
(2) Gigabit Ethernet port
(1) Wireless AC 7.1 HD Audio . .
Front panel mic + audio out (1) S/PDIF Out (Optical)
(4) USB 3.0 ports: . . (4) Front
(9) USB 3.1 Type A ports: . . (9) Rear
(1) USB 3.1 Type C port: . . (1) Rear
1000W Power Supply 6.84"w x 15.28"h x 17.80"d

Expansion options: (2) 3.5" hard drive bays or (4) 2.5" hard drives
(2) PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (at x16)
(2) PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (at x8)
(1) PCIe 3.0 x1 slots

And actually that is good to know about Houdini. A fair amount of discussion about it lately on the Newtek forum plus one of the 3rd party developers has been doing some great things with bridges between a number of other programs & Lightwave, Houdini being one of them.

I've had a number of BMD products over he years & have always appreciated the way Grant approached things. Glad to see them succeed. Sort of why I went with Boxx too I suppose.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 26, 2019 at 2:55:43 am

So in other words, you sold your home furnace to buy the Boxx and found out you no longer needed any kind of HVAC at all. SORRY, SHOULD I SAY THAT LOUDER SO YOU CAN HEAR ME OVER THE FANS?
But seriously, that's a hell of rig. Any issues with the AMD compatibility yet? Is that enough ram for 32 cores? I've got 24 cores here on one system and I'm wincing at renders pushing the 128gb of ram to its limits. (to be fair that's i7's so perhaps they are more memory hoggy)

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Mar 26, 2019 at 6:11:04 am

Funny you should say that. I've two systems & an electric heater on the same circuit & no problems. Couldn't do that in pre LED monitor days.

So far no issues of that sort. Mostly just getting use to Win10 & installing & re-registered various things. Have three Steam games that won't start & have to get in touch with each of the creators separately. Wonderful. But the others look & play phenomenal. Minor set back though; I can find the dongle to the controller. Replacement one is en-route.

Had to do the reinstall & manual rereg of Element3D earlier tonight but that worked just fine. Hope to work though the Orb tutorial soon as I've a particular shot I want to do that I couldn't before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]