FORUMS: list search recent posts

Select all layers above or below

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vinnie Spano
Select all layers above or below
on Mar 21, 2019 at 6:12:20 pm

I've encountered a strange quirk that I'm not sure how to resolve. When selecting all layers, and then shift+clicking on a layer, After Effects seems to arbitrarily select either all layers above or below the layer that was clicked. I recently worked on a project with 200+ layers, and this made adjusting layers on the timeline very frustrating. Does anyone know how to intentionally select all layers below or above? Currently running AE CC 16.0.1. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
Re: Select all layers above or below
on Mar 22, 2019 at 8:22:47 am

Hey Vinnie,

could you clarify what is the reason why after selecting all, you decide to do shift+click then? What is the purpose to do this?

One different workaround could be - labelling the layers if you plan to make the same selection over and over again.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 22, 2019 at 10:21:28 am

[Vinnie Spano] "When selecting all layers, and then shift+clicking on a layer, After Effects seems to arbitrarily select either all layers above or below the layer that was clicked. I recently worked on a project with 200+ layers, and this made adjusting layers on the timeline very frustrating. Does anyone know how to intentionally select all layers below or above?"

Selection in this case seems work inside-out, based on the mouse cursor position. If you select all, then move the mouse UP and shift+click, it will de-select above your clicked layer. If you select all, the move the mouse DOWN and shift+click, it will de-select below your clicked layer.

If you end up with the opposite of the selection you want, you can right-click any of the selected layers and choose "Invert selection" from the context menu.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Vinnie Spano
on Mar 22, 2019 at 2:42:47 pm

Thank you! This is exactly what I was asking. This will save me a lot of precious time. Appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]