FORUMS: list search recent posts

Set Poster Frame not working as expected

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
K. Marie McCarthy
Set Poster Frame not working as expected
on Mar 20, 2019 at 9:45:56 pm

I've tried several times to change the frame that shows up as the thumbnail on my After Effects animation when posted to Facebook/Instagram (or even as just the desktop icon image). I thought this would be very straightforward: move the playhead to the area I want represented as the thumbnail, go to Composition>Set Poster Frame. But still, the image that shows up as the thumbnail is just the blank first frame of my animation. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? I'm using After Effects CC 2019.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Set Poster Frame not working as expected
on Mar 20, 2019 at 10:30:09 pm

Set Poster Frame has nothing to do with the exported file. It's just for the image you see when you select the object in the Project Panel inside AE.
H.264 (the format you're exporting to, I assume), doesn't support setting a custom thumbnail. YouTube, Vimeo, and other video hosting sites will let you pick one, but that's because they've got their own custom back end for that. Facebook might also have that option, but it's something that has to happen in Facebook, not AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

K. Marie McCarthy
on Mar 21, 2019 at 6:07:26 am

Ah, I see. This answers my question. Thank you so much—I appreciate your speedy response.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 21, 2019 at 2:06:28 pm

Glad to help! ☺

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]