FORUMS: list search recent posts

Parenting an OBJ to Specific OBJ group on separate OBJ in Element 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Millar
Parenting an OBJ to Specific OBJ group on separate OBJ in Element 3D
on Mar 19, 2019 at 5:30:33 pm

I have a character that i have animated in Mixamo and exported the FBX to blender. I have then created an OBJ sequence and made sure the OBJ's created have individual groups still in place, such as head, hands and feet, legs and arms etc.

The characters hands are empty but what i need to do is find a way of attaching a gun OBJ to one hand as the animation takes place. The problem i have is that the OBJ group for the hand is both hands and feet in one group, so the position of the group is not indicative of where the specific hand is placed in the environment. I have body groups setup on different aux channels, but again, the aux channel position is only indicating the central position of the 2 hands and feet, not an individual hand.

Is there any way to parent the gun obj to the specific hand that i am missing?

Apologies if the above is confusing. Struggling to find a way to phrase it clearly.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Parenting an OBJ to Specific OBJ group on separate OBJ in Element 3D
on Mar 19, 2019 at 7:50:06 pm

I believe you're just over-complicating things. If you have any access to the hands position prior to any exportation you can just export that to any format that AE can read. For example I work in C4D, If I had a hand animated in C4D that I'd want to attach something I'd just create a child null (to the hand) in C4D and add an external object tag. AE can directly read the file and import the coordinates. I'm sure blender has a way to export PSR to AE. You don't actually need to involve anything with E3D before that.

After that just load the sequence, import the gun object, create a null for the gun (with E3D's shortcut button) shift parent that to the imported null's PSR.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]