FORUMS: list search recent posts

In front then behind?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antoine Allard
In front then behind?
on Mar 18, 2019 at 4:03:11 am

Hi fellows,

New guy on the forum and on after effect so don't be too harsh ! I have a project for school where I have to do a 30s animation and on one of my sequence I have a marble that makes loops and then goes off the screen. My problem is that when the marble do the loops it is in front of the rails but then I need to make it pass behind for it leave but I don't seem to find the way to make it pass behind and I didn't find any good solution at the moment.

Thanks in advance for the help !

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: In front then behind?
on Mar 18, 2019 at 7:47:37 am

The usual simple method is to split the layer and move it down in the layer stack.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Antoine Allard
on Mar 18, 2019 at 1:36:33 pm

The marble and the rails are already two separated layers, the marble needs to be in front of the rails for all the loops and needs to be behind just at the end when it leaves..

Return to posts index

Tomas Bumbulevičius
on Mar 18, 2019 at 3:28:57 pm

Hey Antoine,

but technically/by logic - it can't be in front of other rails, when going deeper down into Z space? ☺

Anyways, if you really need to put it down only in the last part of rail - ctrl+shift+D (WIN) or cmd+shift+D (MAC) splits the layer. Do this split at the time when marble reaches side of the last rail's circle. Move marble layer to the bottom of the layers stack.

In addition, duplicate the rail and mask out everything except the last rail line. That way, place it under the marble and you will be good to go.

Find out more:
After Effects Tutorials: motion design, expressions, scripting.

Return to posts index

Antoine Allard
on Mar 18, 2019 at 3:59:15 pm

Just found a solution, I just separated all the rails in photoshop and made them appear and disappear at different times and layer in my animation and it works great but thanks for your tips I'll remember it !

Case closed, thank you !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]