FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to find weather data scripts for After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Bragg
Where to find weather data scripts for After Effects?
on Mar 18, 2019 at 2:26:44 am

Our local tv station needs a simple 5 day weather forecast, and a 'current conditions' for top of the hour insertions.
Scheduling it is a snap, it's finding where to get the weather data from that has me running around in circles.

Some of the templates they want to use mention inserting a 'weather data script' but no instruction on where to get those. I've tried contacting the authors but no replies.

No budget for this. Has to be from a free service like Open Weather Map, but I have no clue how to make use of their API. I'm not a programmer.

I worked for Charter Cable back in the early 2000s. It was SO EASY to get this to work on our CG boxes. We just dialed out every two hours, 20 seconds later everything was updated. Lot of things have changed since then.

I'm at the point of paying for a solution out of my own pocket if I have to...

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Where to find weather data scripts for After Effects?
on Mar 18, 2019 at 9:52:02 pm

I ran into the same problem while setting up the graphics department for a news station here in New Hampshire. The news director initially said "Just create it in Photoshop; you can do that can't you?". I created the template in Photoshop, but the fact of the matter is, unless you're a programmer, you're not going to be able to automatically update the template. Then you will hit the wall of actually getting and parsing the data (especially if you want it free). There is some NOAAA data available online, and other data sources, probably ones for you area, which are free, but getting them into your system requires a certain amount of programming skill in order to put the data in the right place on the screen formatted for your station's on-air look. They ended up buying a data service, which I built into the Ross system we used for on-air. Even with the fees to the data provider, I was required to do regular tweaks to the templates, as their data formatting changed now and then.

The first broadcast station I worked at, starting in 1994, had what was called a Dubner graphics machine. It had its' own programming language, but built into it was the ability to take any graphic template on the screen and back-convert it to the Dubner language, which made it really easy to create the fields needed for time / temp / etc..

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Where to find weather data scripts for After Effects?
on Mar 19, 2019 at 10:44:18 pm

AE has data driven capabilities now. Also, Master Properties open up a lot of possibilities for you. How do you get your weather information?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]