FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about precomp / blurry / continously rasterize / collapsed transformation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kevin tang
Question about precomp / blurry / continously rasterize / collapsed transformation
on Mar 16, 2019 at 7:08:37 pm

Hi, I'm really new to AE. Apologies if my explanation is not up to par.

I made a couple of precomps (filled with texts and shapes) sized at 595x800 which would eventually be brought into a composition with the standard 1920x1080. The font from these pre-comps comes out a tad bit blurry when rendered.

I basically just learnt about continuously rasterise / collapsed transformations. Ticking the 'collapsed transformation' option for these pre-comps is not an option as it ruins the page-turn effect, bringing it to 3d space.

I was just wondering what is the best way to get a sharp pre-comp. Should I scale up the resolution of the precomps and if so, by how much? I've seen posts around advising a 200% increase at least...

Or would it be best to create the individual pre-comps in illustrator, importing them in as vector graphics and continuously rasterise them?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Question about precomp / blurry / continously rasterize / collapsed transformation
on Mar 17, 2019 at 1:18:35 am

Why would you do that? Why would you not work in the horizontal & vertical resolution you have to deliver?
I don't get it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Question about precomp / blurry / continously rasterize / collapsed transformation
on Mar 17, 2019 at 2:36:25 am

I assume the smaller inner comp is because it only fills that many pixels of the outer comp? Or are you really blowing up the inner one in the outer comp and hoping the CR button will fix and sharpen?
The CR button can only do so much - too small a composition from illustrator tends to get soft if blown up too much.
As for page turns or other 3D effects, you can always precomp your inner comp to make it the size you need and CR that, and then precomp again and then add the page turn on the outer most comp.
If you are trying to keep the resolution at its best in the outer 3D comp, as long as the inner comp is 2D you can CR it within the 3D comp and it will rasterize for each frame so no matter how close you zoom in 3D it will stay sharp (within reason).

Return to posts index

kevin tang
on Mar 17, 2019 at 2:41:23 am

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

The smaller comp is not made to fill up the big comp. It is in exact size – when I bring it to the 1920x1080 comp, the small comp will be in that size (595x842). It will not be scaled.

The small comps are pages from a book, that I want to make, adding the page turn effect.

My problem:
- After I made the book, I realise that the text in the small comps is blurred, despite it being made in exact size. Hence, I tried to enable 'collapse transformations'.
- 'Collapse transformations' mess up the entire page turn effect. Is that because I added the effect after I enabled 'collapse transformations'. Would it work if I enabled it first then add the page turn effect?

- If I can't enable 'collapse transformation', can I scale up the smaller comp (let's say by a scale factor of 2), and then when I bring it to the big comp, I reduce the scale by 50% so that I get the exact size I want. Would that increase the resolution?
- What is the standard practice for such process? How do I know the scale factor I use is sufficient to create a sharp comp?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]