FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make Outer Glow layer style work properly in 3D space?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Williams
How to make Outer Glow layer style work properly in 3D space?
on Mar 15, 2019 at 10:39:57 am
Last Edited By Phil Williams on Mar 15, 2019 at 10:42:32 am

Hi guys,

I'm doing a basic 3D camera animation involving precomps placed at different depths in Z-space.

The precomps are all very simple - a video clip with a shape layer acting as a track matte.

I would like to add a stroke with a glow to the precomps, and it would seem like Layer Styles>Outer Glow would be an ideal way to do this. But when I try it, I get the desired effect, but the precomp stops behaving like a 3D layer and permanently renders on top of everything else (the 3D checkbox doesn't turn off, it's still active).

I had a notion that turning on Collapse Transformations would fix it, but it doesn't.

What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

Oleg Pirogov
Re: How to make Outer Glow layer style work properly in 3D space?
on Mar 15, 2019 at 11:38:50 am

If I got it right, you've applied Layer Styles to a 3D layer (a precomp) and after that it stopped interacting properly with other 3D layers?
Yeah, that's what it does: https://www.provideocoalition.com/cmg_hidden_gems_chapter_13_-_3d_space/ (at the end: Mixing 2D and 3D Layers).
That's for "what's going on".

As for workarounds, I'm sure there are many ways. The first thing that comes to my mind is to go to you precomp, precomp it again (as a 2D) layer, scale it a bit, so the glow will fit in, and add the glow. Should save you from those 2D-3D layer intersect issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]